Outputting to 2 monitors w/ my computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chosenwolf, Aug 29, 2006.

1. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

I have a Dell 2005FPW as my computer monitor and also a Plasma display (secondary monitor). I can view the monitor on one display only if I disconnect the other one from the VGA monitor splitter cable I bought. Anyone have any ideas on how I can keep 2 active monitors? (I want them to display the same thing)

I already set the settings for the video card to clone to another monitor but nothing... any ideas?

thanks!

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Most likely your TV and the Dell aren't the same resolution, and the TV is incapable of scaling the resolution the Dell wants to fit. If you look up the resolutions that each supports and find one that overlaps, you should theoretically be able to get both working by using that setting, but you're not going to be getting an optimal image on either.

Somebody else might have a better suggestion, though.

[Edit: Come to think of it, if I'm reading your description right, it's also possible that your VGA splitter is at fault--if it's dragging down the voltage so low that neither monitor is recognizing the signal, or perhaps screwing up the recognition at the computer's end by sending mixed-up signals about what's connected. If that's the case, and you have a tower, then a second video card/replacement card with two outputs is your best bet, but a better splitter might do the trick, too.]

3. chosenwolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

Thanks for your reply. Actually 1024 x 768 resolution works great on the plasma and is also good on the monitor. The minute I plug in the plasma to the VGA splitter, the computer monitor turns black (doesn't output anything) and the Plasma will display the output. If I pull out the monitor cable connecting the plasma to the splitter, than my dell monitor works again w/o touching anything.