Over 90% Of Devs Say PS3 Is Too Pricy

Discussion in 'Games' started by greatdevourer, Jul 2, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Only 90% ? WTF rich ass 10% doing.... :D

That's why they are trying to make out its a computer, and we'll all be happy to spend more money on BTO models...

Sony the world has plenty of computers running proper operating systems with plenty of applications and support, we dont need a crippled linux PS3, what the world wanted was a console - that's right a CONSOLE - Sony ye bunch of langers...

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It uses a Sony flavoured Linux. Even better...... :D

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

So it's going to be hugely overpriced and looks like it's all plastic?

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Errm well theres a reason for that design..

[​IMG]

Mmmmmm Sony..............
    With the PS3's patented design, the fat drains straight from the grill and into your mouth. :)

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Whoever made that image smiles constantly.

This is huge news. forget all these Sony quotes, this takes the bullet. if the glaring majority of devs say PS3 is too expensive then uh-ohs. but which do they mean -

Too expensive to develop for? This is huge as it would isolate much 3rd party support instantly. The exact area that Nintendo, and less so Microsoft are enticing with downloadable games and cheaper games.

Too expensive to buy the console? The dev has spent a fortune making this game only to reap little reward back. Which mostly means a port and possible drop of support for the system.

PS3? Welcome to N64 world. Which wasn't a bad system, heck I was in the pocket money ages with the N64 so I couldn't afford many games anyways.
    Anybody else seeing this as reversing Sony's philosophy on games? cheap console, cheap games to overpriced everything?

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The PS3 can boot a Linux desktop, according to Sony.

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

We'll see what they got in store for us.....we don't know much about the machine except the price tag...and some other crap

Lets see if our brand new PS3 comes with a keyboard and mouse too...

Bless

9. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

thats what ive been saying all along and couldnt have said it better myself. CONSOLE FOR VIDEO GAMES.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea, Sony trying to pawn the PS3 off as a PC to avoid UK taxes. Brilliant! Fair play though, they had a good idea. I'm sure Nintendo and MS have thought of it too. but the way they tried soooo hard to convince the world it's a computer. hell, the Linux distro was probably only there to backup Sony's claims. now this whole tax thing has been resolved (it's a console, according to the Lord Justice guy) I wonder if Sony will follow through on their promise?

11. Zac macrumors newbie

It is similiar to Jaffa Cakes, and that the company tried to say they where cakes and not biscuits to avoid people having to pay taxes on them in the UK.

12. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I definitely don't have $1000 to pay for a PS3. Thats how mow much they are preordering them here

13. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

Where do you live, if I may ask?

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Seriously?! haha. I always wondered about the name. shame they're delicious :eek:

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

They ruled that the PS2 is a console. No decision on the PS3 yet- and if the PS3 ships with an OS...

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

sony will soon enough realize that linux will open them completely up to home brew, ala psp and thus axe it and release some crippled sony OS which can just about launch a browser and manage files.

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

What's wrong with homebrew? As long as it is running atop of Linux and barred from booting directly on the hardware, it can't be used to pirate PS3 games, and there's no reason to block it. The entire reason Sony blocks PSP homebrew is not because the applications, but the pirates that use the same methods.

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

personally i love homebrew, but sony does not, the more homebrew people run the less games they buy in their naive eyes, but it brings more users to the console and makes it the more popular choice meaning more sales in the long run, i just have very little faith in sony.

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

In this case Sony wants people to get Blu-ray. If that means letting people waste their time on homebrew, so be it- as long as it helps the PS3 do well in the marketplace and doesn't allow piracy, Sony'll probably be fine with it.

20. climhazzard85 macrumors member

climhazzard85

The fact that the Wii is one of the cheapest consoles ever produced to develop for (not to mention cheap for consumers) might help them surpass Sony this generation. I mean really at this point, who wouldn't love to see that? Sony has become way too greedy. This winter will definitely be interesting.

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, the XBox and GameCube had some semblance of an OS...

22. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

yeah, dude... if i want a computer, i'll save a little more and get a butt-kicking Mac-mini. much more worth the money. if i want to play video games, i do not want to spend $600.

23. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

if the gamecube has an OS, the PS2 has more of one.

24. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Here the low-end one with the 20GB hard drive and NO HDMI output is going to be at the high end of $800, the top range model with the 60GB HDD is going to be $999.

The original Playstation was $799 when it first came out so the jump up isn't huge, the 360 is ~$650 and the Wii will be between $300 and $400.