Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bob616

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Hi everyone, I hope I am posting this in the right forum.

I'm looking to buy some over ear headphones and am looking for some recommendations. I would want something portable and with an inline control. I don't need noise canceling. I'm currently eyeing the Bose AE2i.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
First: There are 2 basic types of over ear. Closed back (sealed) and open back.

Second: There are more brands and models than can be comprehended.

Third: Bose is a marketing compony who's products are over priced. The only product Bose makes that is accepted in the audio community are the noise canceling headphones.

Forth: If really headphone serious visit Head-Fi forums.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

I'm looking to buy some over ear headphones and am looking for some recommendations. I would want something portable and with an inline control. I don't need noise canceling. I'm currently eyeing the Bose AE2i.

Thanks in advance!

How will the headphones be used? Where? Plugged into what? Is the environment noisy or quiet Are these for recording? Will there be an open microphone near by? What's the budget?

There is not "best" headphone, there is only a "best match" to your needs.

Also, (1) don't bother with the inline volume. and (2) You can get professional quality headphones for $100. Never spend more than that. Look in any studio of movie set and look around at what the people are using, there are a very few brands that "everyone" uses. The expensive one are for home users who believe ads and have more money than sense.

Bose has very good noise canceling technology. But otherwise is never the best in terms of sound.

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Wireless...? Wired...? The option of using either wired or wireless...? Budget...?

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
So you think bob616 has been waiting 800 days for your help?:eek:

hahaha! <crying laughter emoji x 10>

Now that's embarrassing :oops: somehow I was alerted to it as a 'new post'... duh... I wish all the forums here worked via RSS o_O

It's ok. I'm kind of glad you did revive it since this is what I was looking on advice for. I'm looking for over the ear wireless headphone with at least passive noise cancelling, with option to use wired. I'd like to keep it under $200 and found these Sony MDR-ZX770's but reviews are average outside of Amazon. Wire Cutter recommends the Bose SoundLink but those are wired and the wireless aren't noise cancelling. I'm not really into Beats as I feel like they are expensive for what they are. I had them in the past (free as part of a gift bag) and the sound was ok at best.

Hopefully I can make reviving this post worth your while. lol :p

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I'm looking for over the ear wireless headphone with at least passive noise cancelling, with option to use wired. I'd like to keep it under $200...
Take a look at the JBL Everest line. I happened to catch a Best Buy holiday flash sale and got the JBL Everest Elite 700's for $100 off the normal $300 price, but they have some less expensive Everest models. Currently, the JBL site is selling the 700's for $50-off and Best Buy is having a holiday sale on all Everest models Mine have noise-cancelling, wired or wireless and they sound great. The iOS app lets you tweak the sound to your liking.

One catch -- you'd want to make sure they come with version 5.4 of the firmware, version 4.x of the firmware doesn't pair with the new AppleTV4. Firmware is user upgradeable, but they haven't released the update files yet. An added snag is that firmware 5.x or higher allows you to upgrade to future firmware releases wirelessly using the iOS app, version 4 requires you tether with micro-USB to a PC/Mac for the initial upgrade -- that is once they make it available.

JBL tech support, located in the Philippines, is of no help whatsoever. The Everest line hasn't been out long, and is only available from their site or Best Buy. Unfortunately, mine came with version 4 of the firmware :(

Reactions: 0970373

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
I have tried the bose sound link bluetooth and they are inference monsters. I am going to end up returning them. I am back to the drawing board on what headset i will try next. I love the comfort but they are clicking and poping constantly

Reactions: 0970373
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.