Overactive fan

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MacKenzie999, Apr 20, 2005.

1. MacKenzie999 macrumors regular

Hey folks...

I have a dual G5/2.0 running 10.3.9, and lately my fans seem very active*. I even returned home today, had been awy from my mac for a couple of hours and the fan was humming away. Any utilities or procedures you can recommend to investigate / fix this situation is appreciated. Granted, this is one of the 1st warm days in Boston, but my apt. is not overly hot.

Thanks!
    -Mike

*The ones in my mac, not the hordes screaming outside for me to dangle my baby out the window

2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Have a look at Activity Monitor and see if anything is maxing out your CPU. It is located in you utilities folder.

3. MacKenzie999 thread starter macrumors regular

Checked that out, thanks; not exactly sure what I'm looking for but there appears to be a decent amount of ram available if that's any indication. A surprising amount of virtual memory happening though, at least surprising to me, a non-techie type.

I neglected to mention before, I have 2gb ram.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I got a bit of a psycho fan when I was trying to burn a CD yesterday using iTunes. Eventually the whole thing crashed, I repaired permissions, restarted and it was fine but I've got no idea if this is related. I'm using a G4 iBook.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OS X will eat as much RAM as it can and will use virtual memory whether it needs it or not. I'm sure it knows what it's doing :)