Overactive fan

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MacKenzie999, Apr 20, 2005.

1. MacKenzie999 macrumors regular

Jan 24, 2002
    Hey folks...

I have a dual G5/2.0 running 10.3.9, and lately my fans seem very active*. I even returned home today, had been awy from my mac for a couple of hours and the fan was humming away. Any utilities or procedures you can recommend to investigate / fix this situation is appreciated. Granted, this is one of the 1st warm days in Boston, but my apt. is not overly hot.

*The ones in my mac, not the hordes screaming outside for me to dangle my baby out the window
  2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    Have a look at Activity Monitor and see if anything is maxing out your CPU. It is located in you utilities folder.
  3. MacKenzie999 thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 24, 2002
    Checked that out, thanks; not exactly sure what I'm looking for but there appears to be a decent amount of ram available if that's any indication. A surprising amount of virtual memory happening though, at least surprising to me, a non-techie type.

I neglected to mention before, I have 2gb ram.
  4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I got a bit of a psycho fan when I was trying to burn a CD yesterday using iTunes. Eventually the whole thing crashed, I repaired permissions, restarted and it was fine but I've got no idea if this is related. I'm using a G4 iBook.
  5. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    OS X will eat as much RAM as it can and will use virtual memory whether it needs it or not. I'm sure it knows what it's doing :)