Overall opinion on Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pgc6000, May 6, 2005.

1. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I've only had it installed for a few days, so I haven't had much time to check it out. But so far I'm impressed. Things have really speeded up. Spotlight is very cool, and I love the dashboard. What do you guys think?

2. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

I love Tiger, much bigger upgrade than panther was. I'm not sure which feature I like the best Automator, Spotlight or Dashboard. I've been using all three much more than I thought I would.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

IMO, Panther was the bigger upgrade than Tiger on the surface and useable features wise, however, Tiger's got tons more under the hood changes that your average user will never see (and may question if its worth the price) but IMO, they make Tiger worth it. I'm impressed though and love Tiger. Dashboard is awesome and it seems a lot faster on both of my computers. Its got some bugs, but nothing that makes it unusable and I'm sure will be fixed in 10.4.1

4. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

I feel Tiger is a sound update. From my personal point of view, many of the new technologies are great on paper, but not so magnificent in practice - the Spotlight UI is lacking, and Dashboard needs better widgets. I love the idea of Automator, but it's too damn slow.

I agree with the above poster saying that Panther was a bigger update for the user. That's not to say Tiger's a poor update - it isn't - but it's not as essential as Panther was. After half an hour with Panther, I knew I couldn't go back to Jaguar; but after a week with Tiger, I could return to Panther without any trouble (though I'd miss the insane speed of Safari 2 I will admit).

10.4.1 will be well received though, as some of the little bugs are damned annoying.