Overcharging iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LouieSamman, Apr 28, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

When I receive my iPad 3G I would like to use it as an alarm clock and keep it plugged into the AC Plug with the small brick it comes with so it can charge overnight but I would like to leave my iPad on to show the alarm clock but would this harm the battery?

Can you overcharge your iPad battery and reduce the lifespan and amount of use or does apple have a way around that when leaving your iPad to charge even when it's full?

2. macrumors 603

No, if a lithium battery overcharges it explodes or catches fire. The more you charge and keep it charged up the long it lasts.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

hahah that would suck huh? :D

So I guess it's safe to leave it charging when full.

Thanks.

4. macrumors 603

When it reaches "full" the monitoring circuits cut off the power to the batteries.

5. macrumors 6502a

It is safe to keep it plugged in. I believe it says so in the manual.

6. macrumors newbie

I have my iPhone charging on a dock all day at work everyday. You'll be fine.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Once it reaches "full" and the monitoring circuits cuts off the power of the battery and I have the iPad screen on, wouldn't that mean my battery would start draining?

I heard about how when this happens apple does this thing that allows bits of charge here and there to keep it at it's full 100%

am I correct from what I heard?

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Awesome to hear

9. thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Yeah lots of people charge their gadgets even when full. I'm guessing it's safe to do so now with the advance technology we have nowadays.

10. macrumors 603

Yes, it cuts off when full and then cuts on and does some trickle, then off again, then trickle again..........keeping the battery at full voltage but not allowing an extremely dangerous over volt.

11. macrumors 6502

Is that why the battery icon is sometimes a lightening bolt and sometimes a plug?

12. thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

When it's a lightening bolt it's charging

when it's a plug it's fully charged.

As for when it is fully charged it trickles bits of electricity from time to time but it doesn't change the battery status back and forth to a lightening bold and a plug icon. It keeps it as a plug icon which shows fully charged

13. macrumors regular

You can keep it plugged in all of the time without having a problem.

14. macrumors 6502a

Nice to know this - I also worry!!

15. macrumors regular

Wait, you just answered your own question? :confused:

16. macrumors newbie

Instead of starting a new thread and getting yelled at, i'm going to hijack this one and ask a question regarding the battery.....

My iPad is getting so much use between myself, my wife and 3 kids, that it requires multiples charges each and every day! The way i've been doing it is playing till it gets to 10% or so then charging to 100% (the whole time it's charging it's also being played on) and then unplugging it until it's back down to 10% and repeating the whole thing.

My question is... What would be better? Doing like i am, or possibly just using it ALL DAY plugged in while we play. Meaning the battery would never go down. I have a 20ft extension cord it's plugged into so we're not stuck up against the wall while it's charging.

I'm just trying to figure what if anything, is best for the battery

17. macrumors regular

This is very reassuring...

18. macrumors 6502

Oh, that's an easy one. Get more iPads ;)

Seriously, it's ok to leave it plugged in while in use.

19. thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Well I'm starting to understand the concept so I responded to a guy questioning about the battery status when the iPad is Plugged in.

20. macrumors 68020

"Overcharging iPad"?

Yes, Apple is overcharging for the iPad. :D NotSoMuch the 16gb version, but you really make their day if you buy any 3G version or the 32gb and 64gb WiFi version. :eek:

21. thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Hahah, you misrepresented the word "Overcharging", but I know your just joking. I just didn't even thought of my post title sounding like I meant that I paid a bunchload for the iPad.