Overclocked My 6800Gt OEM to 6800 Ultra

Discussion in 'Games' started by Little Endian, May 27, 2005.

1. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

http://mapage.noos.fr/campahunta/software/Graphiccelerator.html

ATI Accelerator is now known as Graphiccelerator and now Supports the 6800 Series card.

I have succesfully Overclocked my 6800Gt to Ultra specifications. My Gt was Originally Clocked at 350Mhz Core and 500Mhz(1000Mhz) effective memory frequencies. I am now running the GT at Ultra Specs 400Mhz Core and 1100Mhz Memory Speed. Stable so far and I am seeing performance increases in most Graphics functions.

The Following Benches were Done on My Dual 2.5Ghz PowerMac

Doom III at 1680x1050 Ultra High Quality setting everything maxed and I mean everything!! except FSAA which is off, I get 45FPS vs 42.2 FPS before OC.

Quake III I now get 441 FPS at 1680x1050 Max settings vs 429FPS before the OC.

Unreal 2004 AVG FPS now at 67FPS at 1680x1050 Maximum settings vs 63.9FPS. I used SantaDucks Bridge of Fate Botmatch bench for this.

Serene Screens Marine Aquarium now tops out @ 500FPS vs 485FPS

I am Very Much tempted to Overclock to 6800 Ultra Extreme specs which would be 450Mhz Core 1100Mhz+ Memory. I will go up to 425/1100 and see how stable things are. I read that in the PC world there are some folks who can Overclock their GT's up to 450/1200 but damn do they have balls! I would try but I have know way of reading the temperature for my 6800 so I really don't know how hot things are getting.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Yor Cpu is more bottleneck then the GPU, just notice on the PC side how the newer CPU's are cranking up the frames.

3. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Hee many years ago I used to get 71fps running Q3 with everything off...mmm...damn I still am :mad:

4. Little Endian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay I got up to 440Mhz Core and 1.116Ghz Memory. Though I would not call it safe as I did see some funky artifacts. At 450Mhz Core my computer locks up and fans go Full Blast! 440/1116 was stable enough to carry out benches but not safe enough for extended use. I am now back down to 425/1100 but below I'm posting what things were like at 440/1116.

Dual 2.5Ghz running Panther 10.3.9 (still not ready for Tiger)
    ALL TESTS run at 1680x1050 Native resolution on a 20" ACD except where noted.

Doom III topped out at 46.1 FPS Ultra High Quality with everthing on except for FSAA. If I droped down to High Quality mode and turned V-sync and Shadows Off and I got 58.3FPS. Going Down to 1024x768 High Quality V-sync off/Shadows off produed 61.2FPS. FSAA still performs badly though especially at higher resolutions however at 1024x768 High Quality with everything on including 4xFSAA I managed to produce a very playable 35.4FPS. Personally FSAA does not matter much to me as it's benefit decreases at higher resolutions. When I play at 1680x1050 Ultra High Quality with everthing on except FSAA 45 FPS is more than enough.

Quake III topped out at 452.8 FPS

Unreal 2004 peaked at 67.3 FPS Average

5. Little Endian thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think My CPU is the bottle neck. Apple's Drivers for the Geforce Cards are to blame as well as how OSX handles Open GL. Mind you I am still running Panther too so I would guess I may see slightly higher frame rates with Tiger. If my CPU were really the bottle neck why do I see a 9.2% increase in My Doom III timedemo at 1680x1050 Ultra Quality? Over Clocking the 6800GT gave me that 9.2% bump from 42.2-46.1 FPS. On the PC one would see a 10% gain when Overclocking a GT to Ultra speeds. It would seem that my CPU can scale to the GPU even at taxing settings.

Well at least Quake III shines 450FPS + is hard to acheive on even the Best PC hardware. Quake III stands as a testament to the kind of performance that can be achieved when Developers put extra effort into optimizing it for the Mac.

I am not defending the sorry state of Gaming on the Mac but really it's a software and Driver issue rather than being primarily a Hardware one.

6. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Some interesting results, on the whole though whether it is worth putting the extra strain on the card for what are very small gains is debateable. Nice to know it can be done though.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, the extreme silliness of possibly destroying the card for such a minor gain just so you can astound the masses. [​IMG]

Of course the extreme humor of the situation when people try something like what MacOSRumors did after cyberbegging a new video card, only to destroy it the first day they had it. Now that's humor, especially when the turned around and asked their readers for a new card. :p

8. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

MacOSRumors still exists? And people read it? :D

9. Crikey macrumors 6502

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought someone was bragging about overclocking the 68000 CPU of his 20-year-old Mac.

Never mind . . .

Crikey

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Can Temperature Monitor read the GPU's temperature? I think it should be able to...

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That was funny! :D Didn't feel sorry for them a bit, though their sponsor must have been kicking themselves. At least this guy is playing with his own money. Just promise you'll have a good sense of humor Little Endian if something melts. Might cost you a little moolah, but it'll be a great story to tell. :p

12. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Woot!

I'll be grabbing this program and OC'ing my baby, today! :)

Thanks for the heads up!

13. Little Endian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Be Careful when Overclocking. Althought I attempeted as High as 440/1116 that was pushing it and I recomend going no higher than 425/1100. 425/1100 was for the most part stable no freezing or artifacts however I did notice that Quartz Extreme functions would stutter. Most notably resizing windows would cause Quicktime 7 to lag, Expose also seemed Choppy. However Games Ran fine with no glitches. I would not reccomend staying at 425/1100 for any exteneded period of time though.

400/1100 has proved to be most stable and will still give a decent boost of 4-7% increase in FPS depending on the Game and settings. I don't think the GPU has it's own dedicated temp Sensor so there is no way to monitor the GPU's Core,Memory, and Heatsink temps. Also take into account that my Power Mac is in a Room with Air Conditioning set to 65 degrees Faranheit and the computer is positioned so that it is well ventillated.