Overclocking a video card

Discussion in 'Games' started by mojohanna, Sep 18, 2004.

1. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

I have read a lot of threads that mention overclocking the video card. I am curious as to how this is done and if it can be done with a GeForce 5200. Will a mac support this or is this something traditionally done with a pc?
    If I could squeeze some more performance out of the card I have, it will give me more time to save up for a new card.

Thanks.

2. applekid macrumors 68020

User beware!

I didn't install it completely (I only installed the nVidia file, restarted, and forgot about installing the rest), but it f-ed up my System (froze at Apple screen) and required a reinstall. I'm sure it works, but just be careful with it.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

MacOSRumors used to have a pretty cool example of how to destroy a card by overclocking it.

4. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

5. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Amazing what you can do by READING!

That would be an ATI accelerator ONLY... and the reader asked about a GeForce card!

Oh and overclocking a 5200 is practically useless... since the card itself is utter crap.

6. ahamilt2 macrumors member

What's safe?

I have a Radeon 7500. What's a relatively safe speed to overclock the card to? I want to avoid frying the card and the surrounding motherboard of possible.

7. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

About 15% tops.

8. mojohanna thread starter macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Thanks for the link, but the page makes mention that none of the overclocking on nVidia cards has been shown as effective.

With all of the different steps and the fact that it looks like it wont do anything, I think I'll just sit tight and wait till I have the $ to buy a new one. Damn me for not checking out the video card stuff before I bought this machine!!!!!

9. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Don't put the video memory beyond 15%. As far as the processor goes, I dunno, im running it at 25% and its fine for now.

10. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Reinforcing what someone said up there about 5200's being crap, yes, that's the case. Don't try to overclock it, you won't notice a difference. I gave it a whirl, or tried, since I was stupid enough to not pay an extra 50 bucks for the 9600 pro for my G5 and the utility seems to be incompatible with panther, or something, I can't quite remember but it didn't work as it was supposed to when I last tried. Point is, don't bother, just save up some cash and get a real video card, that's what I'm doing, except I probably won't buy my new video card until Starcraft 2 comes out... mmmmm... Starcraft 2....

11. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

i have a new ibook 1.2ghz what would be a safe bet for a overclock?

12. benpatient macrumors 68000

0% would be a safe bet...or mayby -10%.

there's not any point in OCing the integrated graphics on an ibook. And it probably won't work, anyway.

13. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

I had a fair amount of success overclocking my OEM 64MB ATI Radeon 9600 Pro card in my 1.6GHz G5 (around 20% core/15% memory overclock off the top of my head, will have to search my old posts to find exact numbers). I've since sold the 9600 and bought a 256MB Radeon 9800 Pro SE instead, which I haven't tried to overclock yet.

Speaking of the Radeon 9600 Pro, if you're looking for a cheap upgrade from your nVidia FX 5200, Other World Computing is currently selling 64MB ATI Radeon 9600 Pro AGP 8x cards for only $99. These are the same cards as you would get if you ordered the 9600 Pro upgrade from Apple when you ordered your G5 originally (ie: comes with ADC and DVI outputs, passively cooled by the G5's PCI bay fan...nice and quiet).

Probably the best $99 you could spend on a G5 upgrade if you ever want to play a game...

http://eshop.macsales.com/AddToBasket.cfm?ID=7290&Item=APL630ATI9600

14. benpatient macrumors 68000

OUCH!

that's how much the fully-clocked normal 128mb card is for the PC...

15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Wait so the nVida overclocks are useless?

'Note: As of version 1.2.1 of MBTK none of the Nvidia card overclocks have been found to be effective. : ('

... so... what the hell?

16. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

The card is Apple 'branded'. Need we discuss it further? :)

17. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

The iBook doesn't have integrated graphics. No computer from Apple does. The iBook has an ATI Radeon Mobility 9200 graphics card.

18. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Apple always places "CAPS" on they hardware that they place in they machines I have no clue as to why they would want to do this however it quite sad indeed. They use the same cards however reduce the ram and such on it, my only conclusion is due to cost related reason if a 9600 has 128 ram at 99 USD then a 9600 with 64 ram will cost 45. You have to remember that Apple gets they cards OEM and having long terms contracts means even better pricing. it might even be 40 USD for the 9600. :)

19. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Even so I would not recommend OC a GPU on any laptop, space is already tight and last thing we need is more heat and the fans to go crazy let alone increase power requirements. :)

20. benpatient macrumors 68000

That's like saying no apple computer has an integrated processor.

The graphics card in the ibook and powerbook are a separate chip from the mobo,but they plug directly into the mobo just like the processor does.

[​IMG]

that's the Mobility 9600 128 mb.

Not exactly the kind of thing you can pick up at the store and replace yourself...especially not the average mac user.

So yes, the phrase "integrated graphics" isn't the right phrase...but it isn't far off with the "mobile" and "go" "cards" that are just a single chip on the mobo.

21. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Right, but "integrated graphics" is generally used to indicate that the graphics card shares system RAM with the rest of the system.

22. benpatient macrumors 68000

i think technically it's used to indicate a graphics solution that is integral to the system and cannot be removed. They almost never have dedicated RAM, as a result (because it doesn't make sense for those kinds of chips to have their own RAM).

But we're splitting hairs.

23. applekid macrumors 68020

Yeah. You are right.

But, when someone says "integrated graphics," they will often think of Intel Integrated Graphics which we know is... yeah.

24. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

benpatient: Yes, you're certainly correct. I just think that it's less confusing to use "integrated" to refer to graphics chipsets that use system RAM and "mobile" to refer to chipsets that are a part of the motherboard and cannot be removed.