Overclocking an iBook 700mhz G3?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jadam, Jan 25, 2004.

1. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Is it possible to overclock the 12" iBook 700mhz g3 with Radeon 16mb?

Im trying to get a litter more umph from this ibook now that I got garageband installed on it, and I seem to recall that you could overclock these ibooks, can anyone help me out here? Im running X.3.3 also.

2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Threre was a little piece of software, CHUD tools 1.1, that could do exactly what you are talking about, but it is nowhere to be found. When apple found out about this, they updated the program to prevent machine overclocking. You could always try hardware overclocking, but I would *not* recommend that..

3. jadam thread starter macrumors 6502a

jadam

Well my ibook isnt under warranty anyways So I wouldnt mind trying it.

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

In MacAddict about 2 years ago they overclocked an iBook, although it was a 500mhz iBook, and they got it to 600mhz, however I don't know if anyone has overclocked a 700mhz iBook, check around.

5. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

u may wanna check this

6. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Ok you could try.. but I am warning you, laptops (iBooks in particular) are much harder tp over clock than desktops. Make you sure you know what you are doing and I hope you are a skilled solderer. Good luck though.

7. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

If I were you, you may want to consider more RAM. I had 640MB in mine until it went bad. I'm now running 128MB until i get it replaced under warranty.

It is honestly like a completely different machine. (in my case I noticed how much slower it is without the extra memory)

The only downside is PC100 RAM prices are through the roof right now.