Overclocking GPU on C2D MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bluetorch18, Nov 3, 2006.

1. bluetorch18 macrumors regular

Hey, I have a C2D MBP 2.33GHz, and I overclocked the core and memory clocks to 500/500 to play Oblivion(up from 423/450)...and my MBP barely gets warm. The only thing is that the fans seem to be running a bit more. I'm just wondering if it is okay to do this for extended periods of time as the MacBook Pro gets no warmer than it does when its not overclocked. I'm not shortening the life of the chip or anything am I? By the way, it runs like a charm ;)

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Not sure, but how well does Oblivion run on that puppy? What res?

3. bluetorch18 thread starter macrumors regular

Native res 1440x900...everything on high...looks fantastic and runs very smoothly. It runs pretty smooth with default clocks, but in the hectic battles it slows down a bit(not too badly). I know theres a bunch of little tweaks you can do to speed it up by utilizing both cores. Also, I know theres a bunch of tweaks that just help performance while maintaining graphics. I'm gonna try these tweaks out and let you all know how they work. It runs super cool even when the clocks are overclocked...the MBP is an amazing machine.

4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Yeah, they're awesome. I had a 17" MBP for a while, then went to a MP with a 1900 and Oblivion ran amazingly on my 30"...now I'm going back down to a new 17" MBP and was concerned about my gaming experience.