Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Geez guys.. this is just a crazy thread.. lol I will break it down for you.

CPU: only possible if your CPU has a QM/XM after the name (Ivy/sandy Bridge only) and the QM isn't overclocking really, it's called Unlocked Turbo Bins.. As per the Mac desktops, the CPU sku need to have a "k" at the end. I don't think Apple ever has put a 'K' sku CPU in their Macs. This needs to be done in the UEFI/BIOS which you can't edit in a Mac easily.

Memory: Not possible, the UEFI/BIOS (Legacy) controls this and you would need to hack that.

GPU: easily in windows/linux with Afterburner, nVidia inspector or the like..

Intel HD 2,3,4,5xxx is only overclockable via the BIOS/UEFI (such as my windows laptop) I have overclocked my Intel HD4000 to 1500mhz. Not possible in a Mac, sorry guys.

So there are the answers.

I think you're the only person with 100% correct information on here. Well, aside from the minor fact that Apple has had two Macs with K CPUs (maybe more. I know of two), and they were in iMacs. You can also replace the CPUs in some MacPros with Enthusiast series CPUs that are also unlocked (X and K)

ha1o2surfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
I think you're the only person with 100% correct information on here. Well, aside from the minor fact that Apple has had two Macs with K CPUs (maybe more. I know of two), and they were in iMacs. You can also replace the CPUs in some MacPros with Enthusiast series CPUs that are also unlocked (X and K)
yup, just verified. You are correct in the iMacs. My mistake!

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
You can't do it, even if you could it's a bad idea, (the NVIDIA is actually an integrated GPU on the same die and also not overclockable). However some good news despite the apple guidelines your mac will take 16GB of RAM, this is unlikely to provide you any benefits at all but it can take it.

celticacid

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2016
Hello Macrumors! This is my very first thread :)

So, I own a Mid 2010 13" Macbook Pro (Specs are in my sig) and instead of purchasing a new macbook pro (because my mac is absolutley fine and it would be a waste of money) I would like to max out the performance of my computer. I have done it by maxing out the RAM to 8Gb 1333Mhz and removed the ODD, putting in 2 SSD's. But now I'd like to take it a step further by overclocking my RAM, CPU and GPU.

I know how I would go about doing this- using boot camp etc. but my query is, how much should I overclock it? There is always the danger of overclocking them too much and so they burn, obviously, I don't want that to happen as it's very expensive equipment.

For example, the speed of my CPU is 2.4Ghz, I want to overclock this, what should I overclock to? I understand that this lowers battery life and makes it hotter etc.

download and install a app called turbo boost switcher and turn it on, this is the easiest way to over clock your mac, it will run noticeably faster but it will make your mac run hotter so beware

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
download and install a app called turbo boost switcher and turn it on, this is the easiest way to over clock your mac, it will run noticeably faster but it will make your mac run hotter so beware

Congratulations on bringing a thread back from the dead.

Turbo Boost is enabled by default. That tool is designed to disable the functionality.

celticacid

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2016
Congratulations on bringing a thread back from the dead.

Turbo Boost is enabled by default. That tool is designed to disable the functionality.
It also forces macs without turbo boost to over lock, and macs that automatically have turbo boost only activates when it wants to, the program forces it on and to stay on

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
It also forces macs without turbo boost to over lock, and macs that automatically have turbo boost only activates when it wants to, the program forces it on and to stay on

No, that's not how it works. Turbo boost is enabled BY DEFAULT. It doesn't "activate", it's a thing that manages the cpu frequency continuously based on the load and temperature. If you disable it, you get a CPU that doesn't increase its frequency. If you turn it back on, you get the DEFAULT frequency management that overclocks when it wants to. There's no way to force it.

Reactions: MagicBoy

TopHatProductions115

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2016
Ummm...

You may want to slow your roll, apologize, and do some more "research" because you are sorely mistaken if you think that MBPs don't have a dGPU anymore. Yes, there are models without them but there are also models with them, now, available today, from Apple.

Would you like to correct and re-word your post? :rolleyes:

Same here. I had a black Macbook4,1 (2008) and replaced the logic board with one from an early 2009 model and Nvidia graphics. Not even a MBP. I might not be able to overclock, but your statement still stands - Macbooks with dedicated GPUs exist...

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Same here. I had a black Macbook4,1 (2008) and replaced the logic board with one from an early 2009 model and Nvidia graphics. Not even a MBP. I might not be able to overclock, but your statement still stands - Macbooks with dedicated GPUs exist...

And the thread is back alive! Again, again... Anyway, he was talking about Macs being sold right now. Not back in 09'. That means only Pros have dedicated GPUs

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

Even then, no Macbook with a dedicated discreet GPU was ever sold. The Nvidia 9400M and 320M are both integrated GPUs that are a part of the Northbridge chip, just like the older Intell GMA 950 and X3100.

Youtubersid

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2017
And the thread is back alive! Again, again... Anyway, he was talking about Macs being sold right now. Not back in 09'. That means only Pros have dedicated GPUs
Please never let this thread die.
Btw I was reading this whole ****ing thing and then I read "basically everyone here has intel HD 4000 graphics" *checks mac just for the drama* YUP INTEL HD 4000

Reactions: poiihy

ArcLP

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2015
Btw I was reading this whole ****ing thing and then I read "basically everyone here has intel HD 4000 graphics" *checks mac just for the drama* YUP INTEL HD 4000

Found this thread, confirmed

The one time I'm not on my retina mbp 15"

the. one. time.

Anyways, I thought you could boost performance (not overclock) in some of the oldddd original macbooks from 2007 or so.

using a terminal command line code, yeah?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 3.36.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 3.36.36 AM.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 188

HippyRabbitFish

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2013
Huntsville, AL

Having the tank of a machine labelled MD101LL/A, my mid-2012 13" i5 MBP resembles this remark.

Having read the whole thread now, I will not get this part of my life back... and I'm okay with that.

wheresvince

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2018
FL, USA
Annnnnnd it's back! What a wild ride... I'm not gonna lie, I'm new to the whole MacBook Pro thing. Literally got my 2009 MacBook Pro 13" second-hand this past weekend haha. I was curious about overclocking the MBP because I've always been a PC guy and have built many rigs over the last 2 decades (ouch), though I kind of figured that it was out of the question on these machines because of the EFI. I haven't been able to boot into anything that even resembles a BIOS while I was trying to install an OS on here.

I'm sure there are third party programs for Windows, such as MSI Afterburner, that allow you to mess with your GPU and VRAM settings, but what about the CPU and RAM? I don't know. I probably wouldn't mess with those, anyway, because the MBP gets a little warm on the bottom while doing anything strenuous. Plus, a few people mentioned the lack of the K designation on the processor SKU tells me that the multiplier is locked. Manipulating the bus speed would be the only way if that were the case.

caincha

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
Well... let’s bring it back up again shall we? :p
Seems that everybody is talking about software O/C but how about hardware mods?
I mean something like in the old G4s that you could mess around with the resistors and so on? Nothing..?

PixProto

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2021
Well... let’s bring it back up again shall we? :p
Seems that everybody is talking about software O/C but how about hardware mods?
I mean something like in the old G4s that you could mess around with the resistors and so on? Nothing..?
seems like its a tradition to revive this thread lol.
nah, im pretty sure the clock speed is like hard coded into the cpu unless its like a core 2 duo cause i know those things can be overclocked through nvidia control panel, if they have a nvidia chipset, and most macs from late 2008 - 2010 had an nvidia chipset.

sassemblyman

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2022
Seems like threads should eventually expire after a while to prevent this sort of thing.....
As much as I dislike thread resurrection without meaningful contribution, I strongly disagree with this. Being able to find, reference, and ultimately respond to things from years ago comes in handy quite often when working with older / vintage machines, and there's always the opportunity for advancements or someone to come along and solve a problem years later. I would 100% want the solution in the same thread, even if its from years ago, to make finding answers to problems via google that much more efficient. I'd prefer not to find the problem in 1 thread and the answer in another, though that's often the case. Anyway, /endrant.

Reactions: mudflap
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.