overclocking my 64MB Radeon 9700 Mobility in my Powerbook

Discussion in 'Games' started by JeDiBoYTJ, Apr 10, 2005.

1. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I have read mixed results for Powerbook users that overclock their GFX card. I am running the stock 9700 64MB card. Do you think I can overclock the card without any repercussions?

2. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

If you already read some mixed reviews on overclocking and have to ask for more info then I would not do it. Every chip is different some may handle it easily some may not. Also in such a small system like the powerbook I would think only a small overclock would be possible. If you decide to do it just go in really small increments and stress test the system.

3. vasaz macrumors member

I have the 128MB version of your card, and over-clocked it by +20% using ATIccelerator (both memory and processor) without anything going wrong after a days use (mainly World of Warcraft). All though I did scale it down to +10% just to be on the safe side. Your results may vary of course, and I didn't notice much improvement!

4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Look, you have a powerbook. If your card gets fried becuase of careless use or a bug in this program, then there is absolutely nothing you can do to replace it! So, just to be on the safe side, do not do it. I want to upgrade my 9600XT too (look at my specs below), but i don't think that overclocking is the solution.

5. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I was in your shoes last month. I decided not to do it. I don't want to take a big risk like that, just forget about it.

6. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

i do it all the time. whenever i play a game like ut2004, i overclock my 9600 mobility by 24%(gpu) and 22% (memory) it helps a little bit, it helps you noticed what a huge bottle neck the actal g4 proccesor is

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Don't do it; The 9700M is a good card as it is and the gains will only be just noticable while being rather risky for the hardware. Especially since a fried GPU in your case will be more expensive to replace than in a desktop. I vote no - seek to increase performance in other ways, like maxing the RAM or fooling with the ATI Display settings.

8. benpatient macrumors 68000

There's absolutely no good reason to overclock a laptop graphics card. None.

9. tykles macrumors member

can you please expand on that? I use ATIccelerator II witrh my Powerbook, although I don't actually track the FPS or anything like that. Are you talking specifically about laptop cards because if they fry you have to replace the whole motherboard?
    Thanks

10. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Powerbook's are one inch thin... They aren't actively cooled (fan) all the time. When you over-clock a desktop gpu If it goes bad... You have to buy a new one. If the Powebooks gpu fails.. You have a whole new Logic Board to replace. It doesn't even help performance *that* much. What I mean is it doesn't outweigh the cost if something goes wrong...

11. benpatient macrumors 68000

exactly.

normally, a person overclocks a graphics card because they are unhappy with it's current performance and want it to run faster. If you don't even know how fast yours is going, and you can't tell a difference when you overclock it, then you're just shortening the life of your entire PB. It's possible that a 20% overclock can give you a 10% performance increase. It can also, depending on the situation, double the amount of heat generated by the gpu, because it is already running at what is probably peak efficiency, and as it goes past the speed/power(temperature) delta's optimal point, it just goes to crap. The more you overclock, the less return there is on your investment.

It might take 100,000 dollars to make a 4,000 dollar, 1.8l 4-cylinder engine perform as well as a 15,000 dollar 5.7 V8. If there's less to work with to begin with, then you have to squeeze harder.

anyway, overclocking is limited by a number of factors, heat generation being among the most prominent. A laptop is the worst overclocking environment in the world. There is minimal heat dissipation and minimal airflow. Raising the core and memory clock on your PB graphics processor by 10% might gain you a frame or two in a few games. You won't see the difference unless you know what you're looking for. You WILL be raising the ambient temperature inside your case by 3-6 degrees C. Temperature and moisture are the two things that kill electronics. 6 degrees C is a big temperature jump for electronics, and the worst part is that in a tower case, extra GPU heat only effects the GPU and possibly the AGP slot if you're going nuts with the OC...in a PB, you're raising the temperature of every component under your fingertips, each of them sensitive to heat. You will also be putting a strain on the power supply, i.e. the battery...which means less time between charges, and again, more heat.

Like I said before, there's absolutely no reason to overclock the graphics processor in a laptop.

12. tykles macrumors member

Thanks for such a thorough reply. You've definitely sold me on going back to stock.

13. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

thanks for all the replys. I decided against it...The risks are just too high for something insignificant it seems.

14. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

15. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Eevee is right dude, go with the RAM upgrade. Shouldn't mess with stuff like that. Not worth it.

16. tykles macrumors member

I'm asking this out of ignorance, not to be a smartass, but can you actually notice the difference between 23 and 26 fps? It just seems pretty nominal.

17. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

Hmm.

Also slightly off topic but maybe related.

I've noticed a large push in upgradeable memory cards in PC laptops. Althought this sounds cool, it doesnt make any sense to me. If there are a certain number of pixels in the laptops display, and its already set for arpeture depth and response time, what difference is a -noticeable faster/better in the Desktop world - comparable desktop chip upgrade to a laptops screen gonna do?? Besides any increases in GPU memory/GPU memory speeds??

Is it really that significant that PowerBook owners/waiting owners should hope for in the next big generation of the PowerBook???

18. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

The human eye can perceive fluid motion at 24fps and faster so it depends on the person. Personally If a game doesnt run at 50 or 60fps idle I don't want to play it because as soon as a lot of enemies get onscreen the framerate drops to the teens. Thats why I dont understand how anyone can play Doom 3. I mean I get really annoyed at my PC which runs the games at those framerates. When there were a bunch of spiders running at me i think the framerate got as low as 7.

More on topic, I would say that overclocking is just something you do without asking for advice if you should do it. If you dont have the guts and the money then dont risk it. Its a lot easier to overclock in the PC world (eg. I spent $40 on a 1.7GHz Celeron and I wouldnt be broke if i fried it (its working right now @2GHz). Im not trying to be rude or anything, but if you dont have the guts or arent sure dont risk it. If you do have the guts and want to know more info that is different...