Overclocking my AGP 450

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by scem0, Sep 19, 2002.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I have an AGP 450 MHz g4. WOuld ya'll recommend overclocking it to 500 MHz or so, maybe increasing the bus to 133 MHz? And if this is a good idea, then where is the best site, with the most detailed instructions, that are the most accurate? Basically, should I overclock my computer, and how.

2. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

instead, can you just sell it to me??

ive begun to seriously scour ebay now that i am selling my desktop pc.

3. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

You might try hunting around www.xlr8yourmac.com . Just remember that "it is not recommended and it voids your warranty".

Actually, I just finished overclocking my G4 400 (PCI) to 450MHz a few days ago using one of the guides on XLR8yourmac.com. And it runs great! I keep ThermoInDock launched at all times to monitor the internal temperature and it's stayed the same. I ran tests before and after the overclock and my machine is between 10 and 15% faster. Ripping a void warranty sticker off a 3-year-old Mac wasn't hard to do for me. :D

Of course, I had it easy because my computer's speed is controlled by jumpers, the only model of the PMG4s to have that.

Basically, if you CAN overclock your G4, you just have to decide whether it's worth the risk. The worst thing that could happen is you have a dead computer on your hands. Are you prepared for the worst? If so, have at it. :cool:

4. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Was it easy? How long did it take? What would you recommend that I overclock my system to? 500 MHz or 466? Should I overclock my bus to 133 too? Sorry for all the questions, I just dont want to break my computer. :D

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Well, it took me very little time, because my computer's speed is set with jumpers, so all I had to do was change the jumper configuration. But my G4 isn't AGP graphics like yours; mine is the first version PCI (Yikes) model. Consequently the PCI G4's are the only models to have their speed set with jumpers.

Your Sawtooth model is much more complicated to overclock. It requires a steady hand and very delicate soldering of resistors with a very low wattage soldering iron so you don't damage your motherboard. In short, it's much more of a daunting task that merely changing a jumper setting.

I found (the only?) page describing how to overclock a G4 Sawtooth. It's a bilingual page in German and English:

http://www.macinfo.de/tuning/tuning-g4saw.html

After reading what all's involved, I personally wouldn't recommend risking the functionality of your computer over a 5-15% gain in processor performance.

6. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Wow, that is really complicated. Way to complicated, I would definitely render my computer useless in less then 5 minutes, not to mention I dont have any of the supplies. Definitely not worth it, but thank you so much for your help.

7. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

xlr8yourmac does have info on increasing the bus speed on a sawtooth from 100 to 133. This seemed to yield pretty large performance gains in certain operations.

I, myself, haven't tried it.

Taft

8. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

It isnt as complicated as boosting the megahertz is it?

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yes, the page that Taft mentioned is here:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G4ZONE/sawtooth/SawtoothCPUdesign.html

You can increase your bus to 133 from 100, but it will require you to install PC133 RAM, PLUS you still have to lower the bus/CPU ratio which means you still have to do some soldering, PLUS you will need to tweak the firmware in order to compensate for the difference in the time-base that overclocking the bus has caused.

So, in short, it's more complicated. Tweaking the firmware and installing PC133 RAM isn't that big of a deal, but you still have to deal with the soldering.

10. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Dang it, there isnt anything easy I can do :D..... Well oh well :rolleyes: