Overclocking the "low-end" G4!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Demon, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Demon macrumors regular

Demon

Might not be too interesting, but i'm planning on getting an eMac sometime soon, so this article (with benchmarks and PHOTOs) really provided some useful information on the current eMacs and the last of G4's.

check it out, overclocking the G4 eMac:

http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/eMac/eMac-upgrade.html

2. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

Thats amazing, a 66% increase in clock speed by overclocking that produced a stable system!!! Thats unheard of. I was wondering, if you could suffecently cool the CPU, could you theoreticly overclock your processor to the highest clock frequency allowed with jumper settings and have it work?

3. Demon thread starter macrumors regular

Demon

hmmm.

I don't see why not, but would you risk a new eMac with such intense overclocking? as the website mentioned, problems arose when he hit the 1.4 Ghz i believe. but i would take 1.33 any day.

i believe that Apple will be speeding up the eMacs soon. it's been nearly a year since the last speed bump.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I dont think its as much as overclocking as its just apple buys a boatload of chips and then set this chip to run slower then it can so it doesnt step on Imac performance( though it still does) there is a thread here about doing this with lots of input from ibodnar. Emac is a nice machine its just to bad Apple has taken the crippling policy. with a 1.33 G4 and slightly better video chip this could be a real consumer machine. Apple cant have any of that.

5. Opteron macrumors 6502

Wait untli it's out of warrenty before you do any performance inhancing mods, because if you fry the processor while overclocking, then sorry no warrenty.

6. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

hey, did any one of you tried to put more than 1GB of ram into an eMac??

I think it might be possible to add up to 2GB... if it is so and anyone tried it, I just might buy an eMac as computer to use for scanwork and photoshop batching...

greetings Jo

7. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

yeah my emac 1.25 has 2 gigs of ram and its worth it althoiugh it cost me 320CAD for the chips and later today im overclocking it to 1.4ghz using a tutorial from the web

8. mkaake macrumors 65816

the real question is with the old machines though - you may notice the last reply was in march, before the new machines (which you own) came out - so we prolly won't know unless an old emac owner tries it out...

9. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

i just checked it out the sdram emacs cant only the ones with ddr

10. mkaake macrumors 65816

by check it out, do you mean that you checked apple's website? cause they're not always right... my beige g3 was supposed to have a max of 192 or somethin ridiculous like that, cause at the time, only 64 meg sticks were common, so 3 of them maxed it out. but when larger sticks became available, even though according to apple they didn't work, a beige could get 768 megs of ram in it.
    so it all has to do with actually trying - as some things work that were not anticipated/available when a product ships.

matt

11. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

Did you attempt this yet? i'm curious to know the results.
    do the same jumper settings apply from the old emac to this newer 1.25ghz?

which brand of ram did you use for 2GB also?

thanks in advance.

also the site mentions people succesfully making it to 1.5ghz... would anyone know the jumper settings for this? i'm sure i could wedge a 40mm fan in there somewhere to keep it cool if need be.

12. unfaded macrumors 6502

I'm actually more interested in doing something about the fan than the processor (although equally interested about the processor). Anyone here been tampering with the fan? The damn thing is loud.

13. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Guys, look at www.xlr8yourmac.com
    It has all the answers, from overclocking to making fans more silent.
    Lookt out though, I tried overclocking with a G3 B&W, but couldn't get it stable. It really depends on the chip and you just have to be lucky which chip they put in and cripple. You could get very easily a crippled 1.42 chip in a 1.25 machine, or your could get a 1.25 chip in a 1.25 machine. Good luck!!

14. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

I installed a Zalman Fanmate to lower the voltage on the fan (thus making it slower and quieter). Its helped a LOT, although its still somewhat noticeable, especially in the middle of the night. Still, i'm very happy considering I overclocked my 800mhz eMac to 1.4GHz, and its still stable even with the reduced fan speed.

It *is* possible to replace the fan with something quieter, but it requires a lot of work since the fan is housed in a special chasis (to blow air downwards). So you'd have to physically cut the old fan out of the chasis, and glue the new one in its place. It would work, but its not very pretty.