overclocking tibooks?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by iMax, May 9, 2002.

1. iMax macrumors member

I'm referring to a link within a thread posted that confirms that the new PB chip is the appolo chip that is in the PowerMac... it's from a Macgo discussion forum. also within that forum is a link to a site in japanese that shows the PB overclocked to 866 mhz... is this possible and, if so, is it a good idea?

http://village.infoweb.ne.jp/~fwid8843/NewPBG4/NewPBG4.html

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You'd get more heat, void the warrenty, all for 66MHz? Na, I wouldn't do it, no really benefit at all.

3. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

well sure, there's that.. but it would probably shave a good 3 minutes off your Seti unit time..

<note to the humour-impaired.. this is known as sarcasm.. look it up.>

4. iMax thread starter macrumors member

I know that it's not worth it for the 66mhz, but I'm wondering just how much you could get out of it... ghz?

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm not sure, but I know I wouldn't want to play around with something that would cost that much and not be covered under warrenty or insurance. If you want speed get a desktop.

6. Bradcoe macrumors regular

Do it!!

OC IT!!!! Overclocking RULES! Thank god for silicon wafers cause you might have gotten lucky. Maybe you have a real good chip that'll OC to 900+ Mhz. TRY IT! Worse that could happen is that...well...forget the worst case scenario, just OC IT!!! I want someone to claim they have a 1Ghz powerbook, and next I want to see people with Dual ghz machines claim they have dual 1.2Ghz machines!!! OC OC OC!!!

7. Choppaface macrumors 65816

8. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

interesting!

I would think that considering that these chips are being used at the 1 gig speed that it may be possible to OC it without much of a heat hit.
    Yet, I woulnt do it because I am not good at soldering and i think that it would be undoable, if the heat issue became bad.

9. lunDisc macrumors newbie

Re: interesting!

I´am not good in Japanese, but is it the 667 model they have OC to 866MHz?

10. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yeah overclock it!!:D
    it might be a bit risky though. laptops don't have much room at all, the extra heat might fry the whole thing. there would be alot more potential for overclocking a tower, i think. all i could make out from the pictures were the numbers 666-866MHz. loods like it might be an overclocked 667MHz TiBook. if thats the case it shouldn't be that hard to squeeze 1GHz out of a 800MHz TiBook.:D

11. lunDisc macrumors newbie

I´am waiting for my new 667. (live in Norway so it takes its time...)

I would really like to see the REV.B 667 against the new "Ivory" 667, can someone help me.
    (seen one test where new scored 481 and the old 493, can that be true, with the Level 3 and all)?

sorry its not an OC case, but I really would like to see some testresults..

12. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

sorry, i don't have any comparisons of a rev B and C TiBooks, but i have found an interesting site about overclocking a 400MHz TiBook. here it is:
    http://www.voelker.com/service/void/powerbook/

it makes sense once you read it. it is really easy to OC a low end TiBook because all the TiBooks in the same revision have the same motherboard. to get the lower and higher speeds you just move the connectors to diffrent jumpers - "All you have to do to change a 400Mhz machine into a 500Mhz machine is to move the jumper from R221 to R217." so it looks like all TiBook motherboards of the same revision have the same pattern printed on them, the connectors are just in different places. this also means that it might not be as easy to OC a new 800MHz TiBook to 1GHz because they don't have a 1GHz pattern printed on the motherboard (or do they? wouldn't that be good news!:) )
    if you can understand that, congratulations! you've mastered the basics of overclocking!!:D

now then, maybe i won't get the 800MHz TiBook.......:D

<edit>

QUICK UPDATE!!

Powerbook G4 500mhz Stock to a 550mhz - Move Jumper @ R218 to R222!!:D

13. iGav macrumors G3

heh heh... I was only thinking about this a couple of weeks ago to hotrod my Rev A 500.... :D

However my soldering skills are not the best.... so I think I'm going to wait till start of 03 and get my hands on one of the 1Ghz TiBooks..... :D that is sure to be available by then!!! ;)

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Overclock at your own risk. I have to wonder why anyone would do that to a $3000 computer with the risk of making a rather light anchor out of it. The reason that you could overclock the rev. B from 550 to 667 was you were changing the bus speed (from 100 to 133).

If you have money to toss out the window (in case you f*ck it up) then go ahead and oc your TiBook. If you actually work to earn your money, don't do it, unless you get a unti for free.

One of the reasons you see so many peecee's overclocked is because they are cheap. If you fry a motherboard and processor, you can replace it for a few hundred dollars. Do that to a TiBook, and expect to drop at least $800. Since you voided your warranty when you touched the motherboard with the iron, you will pay full price on the repairs. Another thing you should be aware of about overclocking. You WILL generate gobs of heat (hence the market of water/liquid cooling devices for chips), and the stability of that system could go through the floor. You could get lucky, but also expect the life span of that computer to be numbered in months, not years once you do that.

15. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

ok, i probably won' t OC my TiBook. i also noticed that the 500MHz TiBooks have a larger heat sink than the 400s. heat problems would definitely be an issue. i might think about OC'ing a TiBook if i'd had one for about 3 years and was getting a new one, but then what's the point? there would be 1GHz TiBooks out already.

16. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I personally would not over clock the TiBook for just 66mhz, basicly you will receive no support from Apple if you do. You are also in risk or burning out the processor.

Ensign

17. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I agree for the same reason Ensign, since you will not get any warranty work once you touch the motherboard. There is a reason that Apple lists only a few things as customer installable parts. Do any more then that, and you essentially void the warranty. If you feel brave, and have deep pockets, go for it. Just remember, those fans will probably be spinning all the time when you have it powered up, trying to shed the heat it's producing.

I wouldn't even OC my game peecee, especially since I just gave it a new brain. I will be using that puppy later tonight, since I feel the need to use it, and see if I can host a UT session now that I have the new base station. I didn't set the network up this time as a closed one, so I should be able to do it. We shall see...

Oh, and if you want to know, the new Airport base station seems to work much better then the old. I am getting better speeds, and more consitantly getting the high ones now. Gotta love downloading at 180KB/sec and better just about every time. :D

18. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

ok, you're right...

i agree that it would be really supid for someone who had a TiBook as their sole computer to try and OC it. as soon as you touch that main logic board with the soldering iron, well, people really shouldn't do that unless they have enough $$$ to go and buy themselves a new TiBook.

hey AlphaTech, you're a Apple Certified Desktop Technician (AASP), right? haven't you ever wanted to fiddle around with clock speeds etc?

19. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: ok, you're right...

Only on ones with jumpers, not when you have to solder parts differently. At least with jumpers, you can hide it if you F it up.

I am getting ready to take the exam to be certified for portables/laptops as well. I hope to do that one by the end of June. So far, I am the only Mac tech to be certified, with our company, in the New England area.

20. Beigean macrumors newbie

it's a bit more than 66MHz more...

cb911 is right. 667 is posted twice in the first couple lines of the page. The OC guy gave himself a 200MHz increase. pretty substantial.

but i agree, it's not worth the risk unless you wipe yourself with Franklins...

21. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Re: ok, you're right...

My PC's mobo uses the BIOS to set clock speeds. Jumperless OCing baby!
    You just have to know how to reset the BIOS if your settings are messed up.

I agree with everyone else that OCing a TiBook is just plain stupid, unless you have more $ than you know what to do with. In which case you should give some to me. ;)

22. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Re: Re: ok, you're right...

I can do that too, I just choose not to. I thought you were referring to OCing Mac's, not pc's.

23. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Re: Re: Re: ok, you're right...

Sorry, to confuse things.

I've only messed around a little bit, just to see how it works. I usually keep my PC at stock speed. Do you remember the "pencil trick" for the first socket T-birds?

24. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ok, you're right...

Pencil trick?? Sorry, I don't let my computer turn tricks. :D

25. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ok, you're right...

The first socket T-birds had locked clock mulipliers, effectively limiting you to only FSB overclocking, which is less desirable, since it OCs the whole system. Some enterprising people discovered that traces on the surface of the CPU controlled the locking of the chip. Rather than soldering these traces, somebody decided to try using a pencil to connect the traces, since the graphite is conductive.

A 2 cent OCing tool!