"Overhead" with installing lots of fonts? Font Viewer?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TraceyS/FL, Feb 17, 2007.

1. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I'm awaiting delivery of my software that is FINALLY going to let me use my Wishblade Cutter on my Mac!!! (xyron.com if you are curious).

Up till now - i've been running it on the PC, with my fonts in a folder. I have "The Font Thing" view that folder - so i can see what the character set looks like, and then it can install & uninstall them.

I wasn't sure if in modern OSX that there is a problem with having a ton of fonts installed (I have 1500+), or if I was better off running the way I do now - install to cut. I'm on a G4 eMac with 1gb RAM for now, hoping to upgrade SOON to MBP - oh, and i'd also be using the iBook G4 - 800mhz with just 640mb RAM.

XP has issues with having a huge amount installed. And the last time i had over 100 Mac fonts - I was running system 7.5.1. and they were post script and I used ATM with them. Wonder where those disks are??

Anyway, I found a variety of font viewers - ranging from free-$50+. So far the one I likes the looks of most is http://www.lemkesoft.com/xd/public/content/index._cGlkPTE3Ng_.html Does anyone have any opinions on that one? Any others like it?

Thanks for the help -
    Tracey

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

OS X does come with a simple font manager (also named Font Book, but no relation), you can always give that one a try before looking at alternatives. Some people like it, others loathe it.

The main issue with lots of fonts on OS X these days is really just the enormous font menus, and the time it takes to build previews when apps start up. The old font limitation (was it 256?) of older Macs is no longer present.

Lemke FontBook is not a font manager in the ATM sense, in that it can't activate fonts for you (it can print previews, but not enable them for other programs). It's also not yet universal (that is, it's not a native Intel app, but should be soon).

You may find this comparative review of font managers that can actually manage fonts useful.

3. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks - i'll go read that. The built in one isn't cutting it since i can't see what Character dings are (if i can, i'm missing that part). Like on the old Key Caps you could copy them... (think dingbats here LOL).

i'll keep hunting - if there isn't an overhead of just having them there then i'll consider putting them in there.

OK, off to read!

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

We still have Key Caps and a futility called Character Palette (similar to Windows' Character Map), but there is a new way to get at them.

In System Preferences, go to the International section and click on the Input Menu tab. Turn on Character Palette and Keyboard Viewer, and check "Show input menu in menu bar" at the bottom.

5. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

Cool beans - thanks!! The stupid little things i've missed the last few years (although, until recently i didn't have all these fonts to deal with). I may need a trip to the eye doctor to be able to SEE the KB Viewer - but it's there!

Now to go finish the review you posted for me. Had to cook dinner :D

6. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

As a quick follow-up - i just downloaded the Free FontExplorerX and i think it's going to click with me!! Here is hoping it's stable enough though....

Thanks again, one more hurdle overcome. Now, hurry up software!!!!

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

There is a zoom button up in its title bar. The large view is really large, but it does the job :D
    The current version has been pretty uneventful. Not especially useful for workgroups, but it's just the ticket as a Font Book replacement.

8. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

Well, I just started making some sets - i've died and gone to font organizing heaven!!! :D (so i'm not scrapbooking tonight like I told DH - i'm playing with fonts!!!)

Since it's just me - the workgroup stuff won't bother me a bit, and honestly I don't have a lot of need to have it install a ton of fonts when i open docs either. So I think i'm cool.

Back to playing - oh, and to get the link to share with everyone!!!

9. Gambuchi macrumors member

If you are using 10.4.8, you might just use the ZOOM feature under system preferences (keyboard & Mouse) and enable the box that allows you to zoom the screen (any screen) using (your choice of) control keys and the mouse rollerball...