Overheat... in clamshell mode?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Demon Hunter, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I was running memtest and let it run on my PB while I was working (takes forever). When I came back I noticed my dad had shut the lid. Oh crap, I thought. It was very hot and the LCD was warm but the system was running fine. Is there a danger to this? Does OSX shutdown if temperatures are too high? Or does component life just shorten?

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I'm pretty sure it'll shut itself down or go into sleep mode if it gets too hot.
    Component life COULD be shorter, but I'm pretty sure it's only noticeable when it's running at hugely high temps for DAYS.

3. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Phew.. that's what I thought.. thanks :)

4. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

I thought one of the biggest dangers of not sleeping while in clamshell mode was warping of the LCD due to heat dissipation from the keyboard? Or maybe I just dreamed that :rolleyes:.

5. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Isn't KB hear dissipation only in iBooks?

Eh, what do I know, I'm a (relative) n00b to PowerBooks. I've only had it since Tiger night.

Go, google, go!
    clink (link to google cache for highlighted goodness.
    I dunno.. seems like there are people on both sides. Call Jonathan Ives and ask him about his design. :p :D

6. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Now, I am a little concerned about running PBs in clam shell. I put Radtech screensaverz between the keyboard and screen for my 15" PB and I keep iSkin keyboard protector on and put on the screensaverz when I close the lid for my 12" PB (12"PB has more space between the keyboard and scrren when closed than a 15". Maybe I should put the lid open after the clam shell moe is completed (I would like to use ACD without turning on my PB's screen).

Apple officially supports the clam shell mode operation for PB. But at the same time, the link the above poster showed makes me think more about this matter.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uh....

Yeah, because you should trust one users opinion rather than the company that actually make and support the product...

8. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

So, does this mean the clam shell mode is not good for the PowerBook? I have started using PB with the lid up after starting it from sleep in the clam shell mode with ACD connected (by this way, I can use the external ACD display only while the PB's screen is off).

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I call BS on this totally. I've been running TiBooks and now the new Al book for 4.5 Years in clamshell and I've never had a lid 'warp' on me. What's more I've never even seen a post that someone has had any damage to their book. Just rhetoric. The powerbooks have plenty of room between the keyboard and screen and a fan to force the hot air out. The thing would probably have to get to over 100C to warp a screen. You'd have a monumental system shutdown before that happened.

10. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Clamshell is supported but of course it will mean things will get extra toasty under the screen. Heat always rises, be it in an iBook or powerbook, which means the screen will get warm.

If i was using a laptop in clamshell mode i'd probably raise it up a little on the sides so that air can freely circulate underneath. This will keep your PB that little bit cooler (probably cooler than having it on your lap with the screen open) which should lead to longer life span of components. So you might actually get 10 years out of the processor instead of only 8 :)

I gave up caring much about how hot** my computer runs when i realised that i'd never have it long enough for the temperature damage to cause me problems :)

**Within reason of couse :)

11. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I'm not saying you are wrong, but for some people it might have happened. Most likely due to some manufacturing defect in the LCD which caused it to warp prematurely. Also these people could be living in a VERY hot country, and the circuitry to stop the PB overheating could have malfunctioned. Just because this hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it can't happen. I'd just wager than it doesn't happen very often (if at all) :)

12. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

the clink that katie showed has replies, from Feb 2003...oooold news and I'm sure it's been fixed - else why let you use it with external display lid down? If it really was an issue, apple wouldn't allow it to work like that, someone would have to hack it....but since they didn't hack it, you must be fine!

I do that at home all the time, but usually have my PB sitting on a fan pad thingher....

13. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

So, it seems this over-heat in a clamshell mode is a urban legend as it is highly unlikely to cause any damage to the screen due to the heat dissipating from the top surface (ie. where the keyboard is located). I prefer using PB with the clamshell mode as I have ACDs for better viewing. But, after reading the earlier posts on this thread, I became a little concerned about this screen warping/premature backlight bulb failure. I keep my 15" PB on iCurve and 12" PB on Targus coolpad.

14. zeeko macrumors member

ya i wouldn't worry too much about clamshell mode as the heat will transfer very easily through the aluminum on the powerbook and come off all over it, now the ibooks on the other hand... :(

15. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I kinda get scared if I were to run my PowerBook in clamshell, until I realise that NO heat is dissipated through the keyboard. I keep it on an iCurve so that it can ventilate easier.