OverHeating?? Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sorted, Nov 28, 2005.

1. sorted macrumors newbie

Nov 17, 2005
    k, this morning before work i noticed an odd(kinda like burning or some such) smell. unit was running only for about 30-45min. i did not realize at the time that the smell was said unit. around noon i come home, fire it up and figure out the smell IS coming from the output vent! observe closely, no smoke. the software is running normaly. i shut down, go back to work.
    apple of coarse says they want to have the unit brought in to service etc. etc. I am about 100 miles from the nearest one, so guess what. that wont happen right away...
    so, i get home from work, make sure all files are backed up. no smoke of any kind that i can see, yet. the unit has run this evening for about another good hour. it still seems to be functioning normally... the smell is not worsening. however, i did just dl the cpu internal temp widget, and it said im running in the high 130-140F range. Is this normal range??? Please alert if i should of coarse shut the bloody thing off immediately or whatever... Please and Thanks!!!
  2. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

Mar 1, 2005
    Thats not too hot.

My iBook sometimes get to those temperatures.
  3. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

Jul 13, 2005
    United Kingdom
    G5's (Power Mac or iMac's) just run hot! Nothing to worry about, unless the smell you are talking about becomes obnoxious and gives you headaches ;)