Overheating iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by imacuser12, Feb 13, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

I have an iPad 64gb Wifi. I've noticed its getting overheated on right side only (when holding in portrait ). Is this normal? Anyone else facing the same problem?

2. macrumors 6502a

It's called "warm" and is perfectly normal for a lot of electronic devices these days. It is not "overheating" unless it is functioning erratically or not at all. :)

3. macrumors member

If it isn't warm, then it would be a problem. It's doing heat dissipation through the case, if the case didn't get warm after extended usage then it's a problem (hot air isn't coming out).

Electronics always get warm. Don't be alarmed unless it starts malfunctioning.

The logic board's on the right so it only gets warm that side.
    (Go to ifixit and search for the iPad teardown to see what I'm talking about)

4. macrumors newbie

I think its also a new way of conserving energy. :confused: most probably the heat sink is in its case.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

But my question is - Why just the right side? Is that where the battery resides? I'm headed to iFix after posting this.

6. macrumors regular