Overheating issue?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adamb100, Apr 12, 2006.

1. adamb100 macrumors regular

Its hot out(70ish) and when I goto sites w/ alot of flash that kick my minis(PPC) fan on mac mini takes a sleep. I can tell its going to sleep as it makes a weird sound. I have to wake it up again.

Could this be from overheating or something else?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That is what happens when a Mac overheats but it takes quite a bit to overheat a Mac. Does it happen straight after the fans come on?

3. adamb100 thread starter macrumors regular

No. When I goto MLB.com and let it stay on there for about 30 seconds - 1 min it does.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's not normal... Try resetting the PMU. Some of the temperature-related settings are in the PMU. :)

5. innvis macrumors newbie

Mac Mini Overheating Yes!

Yes, This is due to Overheating. I was having the same problem, Sites with alots of Flash graphics and the game World of Warcraft online. But then it started to happen while the mini just sat idle, the fan speed ramps up and the screen goes blink and the Mini goes to sleep. I then said to myself this can't be just due to high-end graphic processing. What i did next i do not recommend anyone to do on their own, (you may void your warranty). I opened the Mac Mini box and, what I found was what I suspected, caked up dust in the fan and all over the processor heat radiator. After cleaning out the dust balls, my Mac Mini now operates like it did the first time I booted it up six months ago.

Again I do not recommend anyone do this. Call your local Mac store or conntacted a Mac certified technician......

6. jackjames666 macrumors newbie

mac mini overheat

Everytime I try to rip a dvd onto my macmini, about halfway in it goes to sleep.. and I wake it up and it works for acouple seconds and then goes to sleep again. It never used to do this and it's getting really annoying lately. I can't import or export from iMovie because it does the same thing...... what do I do???????????????