Overheating PowerBook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by gamestriker, Apr 21, 2005.

1. gamestriker macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2004
    About 3 or 4 times already, I have found my 12" Rev D PB seemingly turned off and I have had to turn it back on again after I had left it in sleep mode just fine. It has been particularly warm in all of those cases. Put simply, I think my PB has been overheating and shutting down (though I'm not entirely sure).

I was wondering if there is anything I could do to remedy this or keep it from happening again.

I appreciate the help.
  2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    I remember I put my Pismo (G3 PB) in it's bag once, and it woke from sleep in the bag, and cos it was in it's bag and closed it used up all the power and got very hot!
    It may be the PB is waking (you pulling out USB or other things, or using bluetooth?) and with the lid closed, overheating, or it may be faulty!
    Phone apple, 'cos it's new!
  3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    You have updated to 10.3.8, right? That fixed the wake-from-sleep bug thingy.
  4. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    Mine does that sometimes, with all software updated. I have no idea what the problem is, but I am 100% sure that it isn't due to overheating.
  5. joecool85 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    It wouldn't matter if it was closed or not, PBs run fine closed...I do it with mine all the time and it makes +/- .05 degree difference, so no big deal. I would say get temperature monitor and then after this happens again check the records on it and see how hot your PB was getting. I believe it has to get over 150 for the CPU temp before it will shutdown...mine has never been above 141.5