overreaction or legitimate concern?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thanatoast, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

the rest
    I think this is an overreaction. Are there ten year olds out there dumb enough to steal their parent's car and take a joy ride? Yes. Are there adults dumb enough out there to drive that poorly as well? I see them on the highway every day. It's like people think kids can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality. Come on.

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

It even has the "This is a dream" disclaimer! And the ad-makers thought they'd thought of everything...

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Why should anyone be responsible? [​IMG]

Especially when there are lawyers around to point the blame at someone else.

4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Unfortunately, kids do go for joyrides way too young... THIS happened just a few days ago on Bainbridge Island, across from Seattle.

That being said, I do think it's overreaction. Kids that are going to take their parents' cars are going to take their parents' cars, no matter what. Hell, I did it at 14. I was just smart enough not to go 80mph.

Lee Tom

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

once upon a time...

i had just started a new job and was 1 or 2 weeks in. i worked with a woman who had 2 daughters, i think they were 10 and 13. she was always mad at them for something or other, one day she was especially mad, going on and on about how bad her kids were.

"oh, come on," i said, "it's not like they stole a car or anything"
    "that's exactly what they did!"

anyway, i haven't seen the ad, but my initial reaction is that the incident was an overreaction.

6. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

What he said.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

This could easily get out of control... :)

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Very good -- probably the best laugh I'll have today, but that's probably my fault.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The MacRumors Veterans for Truth will be coming after you soon Skunk.

You'll never make Spelling Police if we have anything to say about it... :D

11. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

they can't (always)!

remember the case of that kid that nearly killed himself years ago, by jumping through a glass patio door after watching 'teenage mutant ninja turtles'.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

13. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

On the subject of odd commercials (or combinations if you like....):

I was watching the Olympic recap last night and saw 3 short duration adds all lumped together. All were 15 seconds.

Kia Sedona Add, Wierd nonfat snack-bar add involving a car with a similar interior, second Kia Sedona Add. Due to the similar tone, camera angles and vehicles in the last two adds I was left with the following resulting impression:

"Kia Sedona, the nonfat mini-SUV."

Damn funny.

Why isn't anyone complaining about the GM adds involving a jacknifing 18 wheeler or the YEARS of dangerous offroad adds for the Ford Explorer (Highest rollover risk of any SUV)?

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I actually saw that add and thought that it was pretty stupid. I understood the premise, but didn't think that kids would. Hey that kid on TV was driving a car, why can't I? Is pulling it an overreaction? Probably. Just don't forget... it's really, really, really, easy to overestimate the average intelligence of a television viewer.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Who among us hasn't, after seeing those Mitsubishi car ads, felt the urge to climb on the back of an open 18-wheeler and throw barbecue grills and bowling balls at cars following us? :rolleyes:

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

so that's why "Mike's BBQ Grill and Bowling Ball Emporium" was out of stock...

17. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Haven't seen the add but have had the urge.

18. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Man, not having watched TV for a couple years has put me at a serious disadvantage w/ regards to pop. culture conversations...

I wanna play the reindeer games....damn.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

http://www.seewhathappens.com/ It's at the bottom of the page. Fulfill your urges vicariously. ;)