Overstepping the Mark

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Oct 19, 2004.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...ml&sSheet=/portal/2004/10/20/ixportaltop.html

PLEASE get rid of Bush: he's clearly infectious.

2. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I used to like Tony Blair, why did he sell his soul to Bush?

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

He didn't sell his soul, he bet it on finding WMD in Iraq and coming out looking like Da Man. I would imagine he'd be untouchable if the WMD had been there. Heck, so would Dubya.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Remember before the war that there were a number of conspiracy theories floating around about gw & co. having some kind of hold over tony the poodle? I wonder if there is any truth in that. I just can't see why he so blatantly lied to the world and why he was so willing to stand beside gw. Was it a growing sense that the UK is losing its pre-eminence in world affairs? Or.....

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

We're trying, but he refuses to go quietly.

6. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Britains Imperial Legacy?

I have a sneaking suspicion that he thought someone may as well share in the loot. Out of the two, I am more willing to believe that Tony's intentions were good. Bush never breaks a sweat, no matter what happens. At least Tony Blair sweats rivers while lying to the world.

7. toontra macrumors 6502

My opinion is that Blair has messianic complex, based on his religious beliefs, which leads him to make decisions that, though he knows will be unpopular, will earn him a place in history as one of the "greats". Iraq was his chance for greatness. As mactastic said, if WMD had been found, he would have trumpeted the fact long and hard; as it is, he lost. He gambled, and should be forced to pay the price paid by all gamblers.

As for his sincerity, don't forget that we are dealing with the greatest actor (not orator) we have ever seen . This man is able to shed an onion tear at the drop of a hat!

8. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I agree

I think to want to be a world leader you have to have that somewhere in your being. Dubya seems to happily consider himself to be the anti-FDR, I don't know whether he actually believes that he will make things better or if he even cares about it. Judging by his actions so far I don't think he understands or cares all that much.

It sounds as though Blair is history though, the Brits are holding him to a higher standard than our own President is it seems.

9. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

It's his own fault: he shouldn't have allowed himself the hubris. Nemesis is bound to follow.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Does Mr. Nemesis have a first name?

11. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Bush gambled, too. And we lose. I hope you guys in the UK make him pay up as much as I hope we do for Dubya. This is the information age, we shouldn't let them get away with stuff like this.

13. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I agree, about Tony.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Bush or more accurately, Rove through Bush, has been gambling much of his administration. Bush's major push for GOP candidates against the odds in the mid-term elections of 2002 was seen as a major gamble, but it paid off in spades as they say. It looks like they are gambling right now that more evangelical voters can be brought to the polls than undecided voters.

Of course Iraq was a gamble, one that Bush thought was a lock. Tenet even told him so. But at that point Bush was on a winning streak and wasn't about to stop pressing his luck when the stakes were highest. If the WMD were there (which was the safe bet) Bush and Blair along with every other member of the suddenly vast coalition would have looked like Saviors to their people. Bush's reelection would be assured, with the GOP probably looking for ways to repeal the amendment limiting a president to two terms and finding high levels of support.

I thought Bush was toast after he lost the Iraq bet, but he is much stronger than a Democratic president would be after such an ordeal. Shoot, DC business near came to a stop for two years when Clinton lied about a BJ.