Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TM23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
i've started programming not too long ago, and i really enjoy it. but it seems like there is soooo much to learn and i don't know if i want to do it for the rest of my life. and it seems everyone else at my age that programs is better than me and has lots more of experience. i just don't know what to do and need some advice/suggestions

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
What I found was that I spent approximately the first year being totally bewildered, then about a year after that kinda getting comfortable, and then pretty soon after that it seemed like it went exponential and suddenly I could learn anything* :)

So, don't give up hope.

*for some values of anything

therevolution

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2003
Catfish_Man is right on. That's been my experience as well. Once you get more comfortable with programming in general, unfamiliar things get a lot less scary.

If you like software development, and if it likes you back ;) then you'll be alright. The trick is not to know everything, but to know how to attack the problem in front of you. Experience is the best teacher for that.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Thirded. If you keep at it, you'll get better as with anything. Don't compare yourself to other people. Everyone has to start somewhere, and just because someone (or even most people) have more experience than you now doesn't mean you're not good at what you're doing or that you should give up. Seriously if you enjoy it keep at it and you'll improve. If you don't enjoy it, find something else that you do enjoy and stick with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.