OWC Experience

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Apple Corps, May 10, 2006.

1. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

We just received a Seagate 750 GB SATA drive from OWC (macsales.com). It is a big, fast, cool,quiet drive - impressed!!!!

However, the drive we received from OWC had the factory sealed antistatic bag opened and then folded over and taped shut with a small yellow sticker. There was also some sticky goo on the drive itself - which I cleaned off with some solvent.

OWC explained that they open the sealed drives to scan the bar code on the drive and also test some for proper mounting:eek:

I am now feeling that I paid full price for a non factory sealed and possibly used drive :eek:

My experience from other suppliers is that ALL components arrive fully sealed, without exception - especially at the $500 per drive level.

What experience have you had regarding OWC supplied drives?? I am feeling like I got some BS blown at me.

2. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

Guess I have two comments...

First, in defense of OWC, Seagate shipped many drives with SSC enabled, this caused mucho problems on many PowerMacs and Firmtek Controllers. OWC took the initiative to disable SSC on those drives (400GB and 500GB versions). This is now handled by Seagate, but I commend OWC for helping the Mac community. Perhaps the 750 needed to be verified for non-SSC as well? (or even turned off?).

Second, as long as the drive is not marked 'refurbished' (ie a Seagate factory refurbed unit) I would not be concerned (it still has a 5 year warranty which you can check on the Seagate website as well).

Just my humble opinion, but I would not get too excited... or blame OWC.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Youj can check the serial number on Seagate's site to see when the warranty is operative to.

There is one other reason that a vendor might open a Seagate drive -- Seagate is shipping some of their SATA drives with Spread Spectrum turned on by default. This makes them INcompatible with all G5's :(

So OWC MIGHT have opened the drive to either reset a jumper or set a configuration with a PC, so that it works on your Mac.. If that's the case, say "Thanks OWC".

4. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

OWC has always treated me very well and they really know Apple products, so I would not worry at all.

5. Apple Corps thread starter macrumors 68020

Well - fair enough - I'll take a chill pill. The sticky goo and open bag combined in my mind to make me wonder what was going on.

My experience with OWC has been very positive and their handling of the SSC issue was very upscale.

Thanks !

6. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

I have always had good luck with OWC. They were very nice and helpful when I had some questions and I would highly recommend them. I would highly doubt they would send you a used drive and these drives haven't even been out long at all.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've only ever bought one thing from OWC, a Radeon 9800. It was perfect.

8. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I have bought fom Other World a few times and they are *very* reputable and trustworthy...they are not some fly-by-night outfit that rips people off or misrepresents what they are selling. I had a problem with the very first order I placed with them - it was basically a cross-border paperwork thing - and they made it right so very quickly and professionally that I did not hesitate to deal with them again afterwards...oh yeah!