OWC (macsales) RAM rebate...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by coachingguy, Mar 19, 2007.

1. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

I'm looking to upgrade the RAM in my new Macbook:) from 1gig to 2gig. I've ordered from OWC before and had good service. I see that they'll rebate me $50 when I send them the 2x512 from my Macbook after I install the 2x1gig sticks from them. this would make my price about $129 last time I checked.

Has anyone else used their rebate? How smooth was the process? Did they send you a check or credit your C.C.?

Thanks

Coachingguy

2. OWC Larry macrumors member

OWC Larry

Rebate

The 'rebate' - which I'd emphasize the 'trade-in' part of - works very efficiently.

Within 7 days of receiving the memory or hard drive or video card, we test (must be properly operable) and issue by check the value provided by our site. This isn't like a 'mail-in rebate' with a processor, etc... this is a really a trade-in refund and it's handled extremely expediently.

such trade in product can commonly be found on our clearance page, fwiw. Right now there is a bumper crop of 512MB and 1GB modules from MAcBooks/Macbook Pros. :)

3. akadmon macrumors 68010

OWC buys the Apple Ram for 1/4 the original price and then resells it for twice what they pay. Is that a fair deal? I don't think so.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

How is it not fair? They do all the testing (which costs money/time and adds value for future buyers) and provide the venue where people can buy the discounted used RAM. There are certainly costs involved with that, plus they have to make a profit...they're not doing it for charity.

And they're selling single 512 MB Apple pulls for $29.50, so that looks like a pretty small markup from the $25/each they're rebating people for them.

5. akadmon macrumors 68010

They are buying 2x512MB Mac Pro modules for $75 and selling same for $149. That's $74 markup. Subtract a few minutes of a tech's time required to test the RAM, a couple of bucks for shipping (assuming it's free to the end customer), and OWC got themselves at least $60 profit. I doubt they make that much on the other ("new") Mac Pro 1GB modules they sell. No wonder they love people who go for the rebate! Personally, I'd try to sell my RAM on eBay rather then sell it to OWC. I just wouldn't buy it on eBay :)