Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plutnicki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
Looking through the advice from the group, I checked out the OWC for a memory upgrade. I'm buying a new MacBook and am going to upgrade straight to 2 Gig. OWC has two "matched" pair upgrades for 2 Gig. OWC branded and TechWorks branded. Both the same price.

Any experience or differences between the two brands?

Thx

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
plutnicki said:
Looking through the advice from the group, I checked out the OWC for a memory upgrade. I'm buying a new MacBook and am going to upgrade straight to 2 Gig. OWC has two "matched" pair upgrades for 2 Gig. OWC branded and TechWorks branded. Both the same price.

Thx

Check the warranties on both. Given the choice, I'd go with the OWC brand, which is most likely Hynix or something close.

stuuke

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2004
Are there any negatives of buying the OWC memory instead of the Samsung? There is a pretty big price difference.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
stuuke said:
Are there any negatives of buying the OWC memory instead of the Samsung? There is a pretty big price difference.

Not really. OWC memory is fully guaranteed...I've bought it before and had no problems.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I have bought OWC ram before and I have never had any issues but I usually would buy the Samsung if the price was about the same.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I've got that exact RAM in my iMac (2GB) and have had no problems since it was installed in late January, nor have I had any problems with OWC RAM in my PowerMac.

plutnicki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
Same warrantee

Seems like the "lifetime" warantee is the same on the OWC and the techworks, although OWC is "Lifetime Advance Replacement Warranty". I haven't found an explanation of what the Advance means.

The Samsung memory is quite a bit more expensive, $180 vs $112.

I think Crucial is cheaper than the Samsung, or at least about the same.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
plutnicki said:
I haven't found an explanation of what the Advance means.

It means that if you have a problem with your RAM, they will send out a replacement as soon as you notify them rather than you having to wait until they receive the returned bad stick.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I seem to be the odd one out, but I bought four OWC-branded DIMMs new back in January and my Power Mac 8600 has never acted right with them in. The machine wont boot or reboot correctly half the time, I have to power down and power up a second time for it to do so.

However, the machine works perfectly fine with other brands of memory.

Its weird, too, that each OWC stick causes this individually as well as grouped together.

ManchesterTrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
dpaanlka said:
I seem to be the odd one out, but I bought four OWC-branded DIMMs new back in January and my Power Mac 8600 has never acted right with them in. The machine wont boot or reboot correctly half the time, I have to power down and power up a second time for it to do so.

However, the machine works perfectly fine with other brands of memory.

Its weird, too, that each OWC stick causes this individually as well as grouped together.

Have you tried to get it replaced?

plutnicki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
Thank

Well, I went for it, 2 Gig kit of OWC branded memory. Also ordered the system, so we'll see which gets here first (memory I assume).

Thx,

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
plutnicki said:

Thx

I ordered the OWC Branded Matched Pair into my new macbook this morning.

All is great so far, and the computer is very speedy. Can't beat $225

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
ManchesterTrix said:
Have you tried to get it replaced?

Well, if I got four bad/incompatible/crappy/whatever sticks, what is the likely hood that I'll get them replaced with four good ones?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
dpaanlka said:
Well, if I got four bad/incompatible/crappy/whatever sticks, what is the likely hood that I'll get them replaced with four good ones?

You should call them up and talk to them about it...see what they'll do for you. Your problem isn't likely to go away on its own, so you might as well contact them. Maybe it was bad batch for some reason.

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
dpaanlka said:

Excellent.
I had a stick of bad OWC Ram, and it was replaced immediately.

BUT...

I had some trouble with tech support.
They insisted it was a system software problem and that I should do a clean install. I just called up again got another person and they gave me a return authorization right away. I have since bought memory from them and had no problems.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
I've also had great luck with OWC RAM, and OWC Products in general.

I used OWC PC133 RAM in two G3 iBooks. And then a PC2700 stick in a G4 iBook.

If you need an FM transmitter get the Road Trip from Newer Technology from OWC, 15 buxx and its by far the best I've ever used. Tune to 87.9 and your done. I've used the DLO Transpod and the Belkin Road Trip and neither lived up to their expectations but the Road Trip got me across several states clear as a bell.

I've purchased a Mercury Pro Hard Drive and Super Drive from them as well as a Neptune HD and a MiniStack, all working great.

If you are having RAM problems I'd give them a call and I'm sure they will work with you to get the problems cleared up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.