OWC Mercury 500gb VS Iomega Black Ser 500gb

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Scottfire, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Scottfire macrumors newbie

Jan 16, 2007
    Trying to decide between these two drives:

I have a NEW Airport Extreme (USB 2.0) obviously, want to use one of the following drives to use with my wife PC laptop and my Mac Book Pro.

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Classic 500 gb (USB 2.0/400FW) External HD
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/ME2FW7500GBJ/

Iomega Black Series 500 gb (USB/esata) External HD

I realize there is a difference in connectivity ie esata/ USB another difference is a FAN for cooling, OH...........OWC had 2 year warranty!

So what do you all think when using a PC/Mac and Airport extreme
  2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    Were it me choosing between those two, I'd go with the Iomega. OWC is generally a good company and most people would find FW400 more useful than eSATA as the secondary port, but I had one of those exact OWC cases and it had a significant problem with the connector for the power brick--it was loose so the case would cut out randomly if I didn't have it in just the right position.

It was admittedly covered under their warranty, but that's a lot of hassle for the repair on a relatively inexpensive item.

Of course, Iomega's case might have exactly the same issue, but I'm more inclined to think of their cases as being solid--Zip drives had issues, but the power connector was not generally one of them.
  3. Scottfire thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 16, 2007
    Hey thanks.
    Yea........I've been getting a lot of good feedback on the Iomega stuff.
    Really can't find a lot of feedback on the net that is bad about Iomega.
  4. Patronus macrumors newbie

Jan 12, 2007
  5. Scottfire thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 16, 2007
    Well to be honest, I've got about 16 hours of research already into buying the right HD.
    Started this adventure looking at LaCie, then read many bad reviews about them going bad at around a year and near warranty time, along with bad reviews on support for them through the company.
    Then I looked at and almost bought the G-Tech drive and found the same thing.........then I went to WD Power Book or something like that.
    I finally found a reveiw by Mac world saying Iomega was awesome, then I did some research there and can't find any notible bad reviews for the drive. So, I called up the company to see how I felt once I talked to them and they seem to be pretty compitent and confident in there product..........
    Had a very reliable friend tell me to check out OWB Clasic Pro and he also mentioned Iomega.
    Ultimately, I would like a unit with a fan, good reviews, 2 year warranty and 500 gb or in the neighborhood...........????
    Thanks for the address's I went and looked at your suggestions online.
  6. Patronus macrumors newbie

Jan 12, 2007
    The iomega does come well recommended, however, how much does it matter that it has a 2MB cache vs the others with 8 & 16 MB?
  7. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    My guess would be very little; the bottleneck on these drives is almost certainly going to be the USB2 interface, so the cache size really shouldn't make much difference. Unless you're using FW800 or an eSATA port, I'm willing to bet there's almost no discernible difference.

That said, drives with 8 or 16 meg caches are generally "higher end", so they MIGHT be built to better tolerances than a drive with an old-school 2MB cache. But that's just a random guess.
  8. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

May 20, 2004
    I've got three anecdotes that suggest OWC leaves a bit to be desired.

1) I ordered a drive from them last year over the phone. Despite my verifying the shipping address with the sales department, they shipped the drive to an address that was two years old and no longer valid (a previous work address). I sent them an email complaining about this error and the delay and they never responded to it.

2) A friend of mine also ordered a drive from them about six months later. Same story: despite her giving them her current shipping address, they shipped it to the address of a house that she hadn't lived in for over three years.

3) Yet another friend bought a drive that died while in warranty. He contacted the drive manufacturer for a replacement and was told that the drive was four years old and out of warranty. The manufacturer's records showed that OWC had sold my friend a drive that had been sitting on their shelf for three years.

All in all, I've decided that they may have decent stuff, but I've decided not to buy from OWC any more.
  9. Scottfire thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 16, 2007
    Awesome............now this is the kind of feedback I've been looking for.
    Thanks again everyone and keep it coming.

What has been your experience with these two companies......
    Anyone here have an plus/negative story on Iomega???
  10. Scottfire thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 16, 2007
    Anymore feedback..............anyone...............please.........!