OWC Mercury Elite

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iGary, Mar 4, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

FireWire Drives...

I'm looking at picking up a FW800 500GB model.

Anyone have experience? I'm very interested in the noise factor.

Thanks. :)

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I would still go build-my-own with a mechanism and a good quality case -- it seems to be the only way to get the full 3 or 5 year warranty on the mechanism.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'd have to second this Gary. you can get a much better drive with warranty going this route instead of buying a pre-made one. i would look at Seagate drives specifically. i might have to do this myself soon too.

4. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Well can you guys point me to a NICE looking enclosure that I can put 2 150GB Seagates into? What other parts do I need?

Decided I only need 300GB.

I'm all about Seagates - I am replacing my existing main HDD with one this wee because I am tired of listinening to it. My secondary internal is a Seagate.

5. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Really didn't feel like putting one of these together (more expensive), and since they come with Seagate Barracudas, which I have in my PM, I'm happy. Price was right, too.

6. jywv8 macrumors 6502

I've owned a couple Mercury Elite FW drives, though not this specific one. Mine were/are pretty quiet. I've had no problems.

7. airkarol macrumors 6502

I'm using a Lacie d2 Triple Interface now, it's somewhat quite, the sound of the computer running covers that.

8. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I was thinking about buying from OWC a FW drive since they come with a 2 yr. warranty and the fact that the software is nice to have. The best reason for me is/was that it's done and the price was within $20 for everything (less software). Good luck with the choice :)

9. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

you're probably better off with 1 300gb drive than 2 160gb's (no one makes 150gb's) due to price. if i were you i'd get an ams venus 3 hard drive enclosure and your favorite brand of hard drive. i have western digital but whatever works for you. mine's nice and cool and quiet.

the other day i accidentally unplugged it while running and playing a video off the drive :eek::eek: and it was fine. would NOT recommend that tho :eek:

edit: forgot fw800....the ams doesnt have that. sorry :eek:

10. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

FW800 is the big deal for me.

Lacie and Maxtor were both at least 100 higher for this size. This will be perfect.

11. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Yep, sorry, forgot you have that extra special FW port...wish the iMac had one of those ;) They could have one of my USB2.0 and I'll take that FW 800 anyday hands down :D

12. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I just had a USB 2.0 drive, and compared to FW800...:eek:

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I've had a number of OWC Mercury Elite drives, including a 250GB FW800 one, and think they're great. My LaCie 500GB Big Disk, on the other hand, blew a drive (of the two in there) just a little after the 1-year warranty expired. I have awful luck with LaCie products.

14. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I've never done well with them, either, which is why I am giving this a try. Looks nice with my PM, too. Glad to hear people have had good luck with them.