OWC: ModBook will ship Jan 8

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by alebar14, Dec 26, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

Jul 14, 2007
    Auckland CBD, New Zealand
  2. macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2007
  3. Retired

May 16, 2006
    They'll be very unfortunate if a multitouch Mac comes at MWSF...if only they had released this months ago...
  4. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
    OWC: ModBook will ship Jan 8

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
    Link: OWC: ModBook will ship Jan 8
    Description:: OWC offers some details on product availability

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug
  5. Administrator emeritus

Jun 28, 2002
    North Central Colorado
    Yeah. Right. MmmmmHmmmmm.

/will believe it when I see it
  6. macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2004
    Frozen Wasteland
    What a joke. Can you imagine being one of the people who placed an order at the last Macworld?! Now that apple is coming out with an ultra-portable tablet this thing is toast. Cancel your order if you can.:(
  7. jnc
    macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2007
    Nunya, Business TX
    Ultra... portable... tablet??? :confused: Guess that 13" MBP rumour mutated into this with the aid of fanboy mouth-froth...

If Apple has the balls to release such a pointless device after JUST introducing the iPhone and iPt, then I have the balls to eat my own hands to make sure I never use it even accidentally.

Quote me on that one! I'll let you film.
  8. macrumors 68000

Nov 16, 2006
    Bay Area
    I can't believe anyone would actually wait this long. OWC dicked everyone around, floating ship dates for months. I would have charged back the order months ago...
  9. macrumors 6502

May 27, 2005
    These guys again!

I remember when the Mac Pro hit, these guys were charging double what everyone else was for memory. They seem to be trying to fill a fanboi niche what doesn't need fillin. :p
  10. macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    It looked neat when they showed it off, but the price and the stylus killed it for me. That, and it wasn't shipping til April or so. Here it is already almost MW 08 and they still haven't shipped it. I have an iPhone and a MBP now. I don't need one of these anymore.

It's too bad, I like OWC otherwise. Axitron screwed them. Or they screwed themselves. If Apple does release a new, smaller MBP, this is pretty much done.
  11. macrumors 65816

Jul 4, 2007
    I don't understand the comparison to an ultra-thin laptop or a tablet Mac.

Pen input and 512 level Wacom pressure sensitivity places the Modbook into a totally different category. For artists.

Being able to tap or scroll on the screen with your fingers doesn't even compare.
  12. macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2007
    I completely agree. Having an iPhone myself, I could never use the finger-pointing multi-touch method to draw something. But you have to understand why pressure sensitivity and resolution are important on a touch device before you see the true benefits of the Modbook.

To me, and ultra-portable touch-driven laptop is useful for a whole different purpose... and the release of one wouldn't make me cancel my Modbook order ;)
  13. macrumors 68000

Jun 19, 2007
    White Lake, MI
    one way i know this is bs

"**WAAS Enabled GPS (formally a $99 option) now STANDARD Built-In!**"

should be formerly*
  14. macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2007
    LOL... I've seen CEO's make much worse typos than that.
    It's not BS. It's a real product. Do a search on "Modbook" at youtube and you can see demo videos from last years Macworld. They just started shipping this month.
  15. macrumors 68000

Jun 19, 2007
    White Lake, MI
    yeah i know it was kind of a joke, people make mistakes
  16. macrumors 68000

Jul 25, 2007
    New York City
    the more I think about it the more I can really see the use of a modbook for me as a musician and music teacher. It would be sooo hany to just be able to make notes to music scores and such with a pen on a modbook and I think it would be great for composing. It would be really cool to intergrate it with sibellious or finale:cool:
  17. macrumors 65816

Jul 4, 2007
    12" laptops, 17" laptops, white laptops, silver laptops, fat laptops, thin laptops...

Don't want a laptop.

I'm disappointed with MacWorld 08. Apple dropped the ball that was thrown to them which drew the most crowds at MW07.

Ironically, the only way I can get what I want now is to actually buy a laptop defacto from Apple anyway and have it modded. So add another 'successful' laptop sale to Apple's laptop figures. Except it won't be a laptop. I'm giving my several thousand dollars to OWC and Axiotron for a Modbook as soon as I see a confirmed shipped example in action next week.
  18. macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2007
    I ordered one on the 8th... in my desperate search to find more info I did find someone who has received their order, and who is posting about it on TabletPCReview.com. I posted about it in my blog if you're interested. He sent me a picture of his modbook and he also posted pictures of it on TabletPCReview... pictures with his son holding it, pictures of accessories he bought, his first drawing, etc. Links are all in my blog.

Looks like there's light at the end of the tunnel for those of us waiting to get our hands on a ModBook!