OWC ram quality on PPC systems?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Old Smuggler, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

how is OWC ram quality for PPC systems ?
    i fixed my beachball error that was caused by having realplayer installed
    i know everyone was getting their ram for intel mac's but how does it perform on PPC systems ? is OWC reputable ?

i would love to get a new mac right now and are perfectly able to afford a 24 iMac or 2.66 mac pro
    but im just thinking if i hold off i wont have to buy leopard and ilife 07 in a few months they will come pre installed

i think with some extra ram i can breathe life into this old emac for another years use
    considering getting a 1GB stick
    maybe 2 of them maybe
    currently at 768

2. Old Smuggler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

Anyone?

well what about this
    what amount of ram is suffecient for everyday tasks considering you have the latest software and OS tiger / ilife
    is 768 a little slim ?
    would i notice a difference with 1.5 GB on a G4 1.25
    how big a difference

3. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

I have OWC ram in both my G5 Powermac and G4 ibook.

No problems so far.

But, I did get some dodgey ram from them for my G4 Powermac.

They replaced it right away no questions asked.

4. Old Smuggler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

so how do you tell you have bad ram other than hardware test ?
    look for programs locking up and unexpectedly quitting ? i am assuming that would be called a kernel panic

5. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I've had OWC Ram (2GB) in my G5 for about 6 months now and even with heavy usage it has worked 100%.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

OWC is a terrific RAM dealer...you'll find them highly recommended here. Like any vendor, they'll occasionally unknowingly ship a bad stick of RAM, but they have excellent customer service and will ship a new one the instant you notify them of the problem.

Bad RAM can manifest itself in a number of ways, from kernal panics to preventing your machine from starting up to just not being recognized by the system.

How much RAM you need depends on what your needs are. More RAM doesn't make your computer any faster...it just keeps it from slowing down as your demands on the computer increase. So if you're just surfing the web, checking e-mail and doing light word processing, you could get by with a slight bump (or even make do with what you have). But if you're doing heavier lifting with the computer, you might want to consider bumping up to the max.

7. Old Smuggler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

yeah i usually have two window of safari open all tebbed out while i am using QT or Some ilife programs while doing so
    but when i use idvd or hand brake i do nothing else (really dont have a choice though)

8. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I have 1 GB of their RAM in my PowerBook G4. No problems at all...

9. Old Smuggler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

thanks m-dogg your powerbook is probably the closest to my machine
    just ordered 1gig stick if it works out fine will get the other stick

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I've put OWC RAM in a number of different G4 machines and I've never had a problem - plus their service is great so if something happens they're usually helpful in getting it put right.

11. osxnewbe macrumors regular

I put a 2GB stick of OWC ram in my G5 iMac back in March. I saw a huge boost in speed and so far I have been completely satisifed it. It was a heck of a lot cheaper than buying the 2GB RAM stick directly from Apple....

12. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Yes, as soon as I put the bad ram from OWC in and turned on my computer, most of my programs would quit right away.
    OWC sent me a new one right away, great customer sevice.

13. stillwater macrumors regular

Count me as another satisfied OWC customer. I got RAM from them for six different macs over the last several years and not one problem.

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Both OWC and Datamem are fine quality retailers.

One benefit to OWC is that they carry Apple factory original Samsung RAM.

Some machines are very picky about the RAM SPD specifications, so in those cases
    the factory original DIMMS are recommended.

15. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

16. Old Smuggler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

thanks for the replies bought a 1GB stick today from chris @ OWC if everything shows up fine ill get the other stick too
    my emac was only apple spec to go to 1GB max but i have heard from a couple sites that you can install 2GB and it will work
    as long as i check the activity monitor and system profiler and it shows over a gig ill be in buisness

17. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

One nice side benefit of dealing with OWC is that you get lifetime support for anything you buy from them.

Great bunch of peoples and they know their Mac stuff.

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've been buying OWC RAM since around 1999 and it's always been reliable. I've not had a problem with the company, either.

It's obviously cheaper to buy 1 stick than 2 and 1.5 GB should be plenty for most applications. I ran a dual processor system with 1.5 GB and rarely ran into low RAM issues, unless I opened Font Book.