OWC Ram

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iLucas, Apr 19, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

Does OWC have reliable ram? Does anyone have experience using it?

I thought about getting some for my G5. I went the cheap route and bought some PNY ram, which i don't suggest using after having it. It caused my G5 to freeze all the time. I'm sure it caused it. I took the PNY ram out and i've never had a problem since then.

2. macrumors 65816

adcx64

Owc is a very reliable source for Mac ram. You should also check out Crucial's ram.

3. macrumors regular

Got some OWC RAM in my G4 MDD and my mother's PC. Both are humming along without any problems.

4. macrumors 6502

I bought RAM in January from OWC for my MacBook Pro. Went from 2GB to 8GB. Everything is working fine.

5. macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I have memory from OWC, it works great. Their reputation is above and beyond.

6. macrumors 68000

Nameci

Not just RAM most of the parts I use I buy from OWC.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone for your replies! Makes me feel much better about buying ram from a company that i've never used before.

8. macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

Same Same

Have to agree with everyone here. Bought ram to max out my dual 533, my dual 1.8 and this dual amd x2 here. Customer service is great, shipping is quick. Have yet to RMA anything.

~Drake

9. macrumors 68020

zen.state

I would honestly trust OWC more than Apple. They are that good.

I have bought many things from OWC over the years and have had a great experience with all of it.

10. macrumors 6502

+1 for OWC. Best of all, if you have a technical question, they know it all! Even on an old Sawtooth G4 tower.

11. macrumors 6502

I too have been considering OWC but surely their RAM is just a relabel of another brand?

12. macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

Everyone's RAM is just a relabel unless you're buying direct from a manufacturer like Infineon. What you're getting with the relabel is a warranty and customer service for said warranty. OWC is totally worth it, IMO.

13. macrumors 6502

+1 for OWC. They are an excellent place to buy from. Good warranty, good customer service. And yes, all memory is just rebranded from the original manufacturer. Apple memory isn't made by Apple. OCZ memory isn't made by OCZ. You get the idea.

14. macrumors 6502a

Legion93

When I buy RAM for my Macs, I buy Crucial, cheap, reliable and high-quality. Apple uses mostly cheap Korean brand 'Hynix' memory modules in their Macs and they are quite unreliable. Can't speak for OWC though...

15. macrumors 6502

OWC here too

16. macrumors regular

cosmos

I have purchased OWC memory as well as other hardware for years. I had a failure of a memory module that was replaced under their lifetime warranty without any hassle. They even replaced the other module in the same bank just to ensure that there would be zero problems.

I have total confidence in both their products and their warranty support. Something that is becoming rare today from most retailers. Another plus is that they have better prices as well.