OWC Return Policy Stinks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drlunanerd, Sep 16, 2006.

1. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

3 out of the 4 hard drive enclosures I bought recently from OWC were faulty.

I've just had to pay expensive return shipping to them and OWC will not refund me for it.

I've never had to pay to return defective goods that a supplier has sent me.

OWC say that if they send you the wrong goods then they'll pay for return shipping, but if the goods arrive smashed to bits or not working at all, it's your problem and you have to pay to get them back to OWC.

I won't buy anything from OWC again having been stung by this unfair policy. They've lost a customer for life and I'll advise my clients and friends not to use them in future :(

2. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Actually it has been the opposite for me. I never heard of not paying shipping to return a defective item?

3. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Apple for example will send you a prepaid FedEx label that you print out and slap on your Macs box. Then you just drop it off or have it picked up by FedEx at no cost to you.

I've had to return a few defective items to OWC before, and yeah, while I do find that irritating, I'd say the majority of places that deal by mail don't pay your return shipping.

4. Keebler macrumors 68030

did you read over any fine print from their return policy? i've never bought anything from them before so i'm not being smart...just a suggestion. i've actually never heard for a company refunding for shipping costs. i've heard of them refunding for faulty products, but not for shipping back to them.

good luck though.
    keebler

5. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me

6. drlunanerd thread starter macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Thanks, yes I have, but it wasn't explicitly clear under what circumstances they wouldn't refund your costs, other than you have to pony up to ship stuff back to them initially, which of course is fine. When they subsequently told me they'd refund if the goods were wrong, but not if they didn't work e.g. DOA, which is what's happened to me, then I felt that was very unfair.

Apple have never charged me to get faulty goods replaced. Other mail order places in the UK have not charged me either. If it's the supplier's fault why should you have to pay out again for them to correct their mistake?

What hurts is that the shipping has cost me nearly £70 - that's 130 USD! And that was the cheapest I could get without skimping on insurance.

I tried for ages to source the products here in the UK but couldn't, so was forced to order from the US which I wouldn't normally do due to potential issues like this.

7. drlunanerd thread starter macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

They were in the same shipment. I was never the fool.

Once bitten, twice shy.