Owner Opinions 17" imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by teerexx52, Nov 8, 2005.

1. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I read a great deal about the 20" iMac and it is awesome but I am wondering how many folks out there have the new 17" like I do and what you think of it. Were you settling for less when you bought it?

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Depends what you're using it for. General purpose the 17inch is plenty. Photo's and Movie editing, I tend to prefer two screens to one large one (unless it were a 40inch widescreen).

I'm very happy with the 17inch, although I've been screen spanning it (hack) with an external 19inch monitor and a 300Gb external drive for movie editing.

If I had the extra cash sitting around I would have probably gone for the 20inch model, for nothing more than the larger screen and bigger std hard-drive. Faster processor would have been a bonus.

The only thing that's been disappointing so far is the Might Mouse, which I'm giving a 2nd chance now with some control tweaks (i.e. disabling the horizontal scrolling - which is a nice idea - just a little too sensitive for my finger!)

3. gregorydanger macrumors member

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Coming from a 12 inch iBook I thought 17 inches was more than enough. :)

Exposé: it's not the size that counts, it's the way you use it.

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I also had a 12" screen before this, so the 17" is plenty for me. I have no complaints at all, I knew I didn't need a 20" for my needs.

6. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Exposé: on two screens - now that's just naughty! :cool:

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Stop it you, you're making my screen messy. :eek:

*Presses F11*

Ah, all better now. :)

8. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I've got a first gen 17" iMac G5, and have been very happy with it. I'm using it with an external 19" LCD, with the screen spanning hack. Works great.

2 minor complaints: video chip is kinda weak, and I need more HDD space (80gb now, thinking of upgrading to a 300gb at some point). I think the current version solves these problems well, and adds some nice features.

9. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I originally had a rev b 20" imac but I sold it. The only computer I had was my ibook 12". The 17" seems big now to me but I did think long and hard about getting a 20". None are available at my local Apple Store. They have set up a waiting list. So, the more I use it the more I like the 17".