Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goldbear86

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
I have the iPad 3. Been given the mini as a gift. Love the weight of it and fact that I know if I want to pop it in my handbag I can. The quality of the screen does really show sat next to a iPad 3 or later. I'm not sure I will keep it. That said I'm not sure if Apple would accept the return just because I'm not totally satisfied.

goldbear86

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
So long as you return it within the return period in good condition, Apple will allow the return.

Even if its been bought in store? It's not even a day old. I just feel like I'm trying hard to like it. Maybe I can get used to it. I feel bad as it was a gift.:(

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I have even used my iPhone 5 a lot less in the last 1 to 2 days since I got my mini. My iPad 3? It'll get a lot of use by my kids soon. Win-win situation for everyone.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
That's my thinking. I use my iPad to read, surf, and light Netflix and light productivity. I can't imagine using an iPad mini differently.

I've spent some time with a mini. To me, the usage is the same as an iPad. So the comparison with notebooks seems apt. But I appreciate your response.

For me, I do a mix of the same, as well as more intensive work - recording in Garageband, iMovie, tons of writing in Pages, and a good bit of gaming. The iPad mini works as my light-weight device, while the full size takes on the bigger tasks.

Because I have two different sets of uses, it works. I could totally see that not being the case for everyone though.

freyrrr

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
Oxford
I have been using the mini since the launch day. I love the light weight and small size, but the screen just hurts my eyes (lower resolution + smaller font size). So I am going back to iPad 3, and going to return the mini.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
I have even used my iPhone 5 a lot less in the last 1 to 2 days since I got my mini. My iPad 3? It'll get a lot of use by my kids soon. Win-win situation for everyone.

This I totally agree with. My iPhone has only seen use for texting and calls. Even iMessaging has been done from the Mini.

Calipad

Suspended
Mar 16, 2012
I am back on my iPad 3... Typing now. I like the mini in the respect that if this is an indication of what Apple is has been doing can't wait for the iPad 5.

Sorry to say I have boxed up the mini and it is going back on Monday. I can see a lot of people buying these but for me I will stick with the iPad 3 for now.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
Even if its been bought in store? It's not even a day old. I just feel like I'm trying hard to like it. Maybe I can get used to it. I feel bad as it was a gift.:(

Apple has what is referred to as a "Buyer's Remorse" policy which allows you to return an item within a 2 week period if for any reason you are not satisfied with it or just plain changed your mind.

----------

I have been using the mini since the launch day. I love the light weight and small size, but the screen just hurts my eyes (lower resolution + smaller font size). So I am going back to iPad 3, and going to return the mini.

I know what you mean about the eyes. I'm 60 years old and reading can be hard enough on the eyes without making the text even smaller. No thanks.

Headlighted

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2010
I have not, and likely never will. I didn't use it in the first place, it was too uncomfortable for me to use for long periods of time. My iPhone was what got all the use, and it's only been used while I was out of the house today and yesterday.

Virgo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
There is no reason to own both a full sized iPad and a mini... (heck, there has even been debate about the reasons to own an iPad alone) keep trying to convince yourself otherwise.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Sold my iPad 1.

That thing was heavy to hold with one had.

This is the one thing I've read all day that makes sense. If you're coming from a iPad 1 the mini would make the perfect upgrade. Not a iPad 3/4 down to a mini. That's like going from an iPhone 5 back down to a iPhone 4S. The majority of people here just do not have common sense.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
This is the one thing I've read all day that makes sense. If you're coming from a iPad 1 the mini would make the perfect upgrade. Not a iPad 3/4 down to a mini. That's like going from an iPhone 5 back down to a iPhone 4S. The majority of people here just do not have common sense.

How so? I'm typing this from my mini while my 4 sits in the other room. I. Love the 4 as well, but for stuff like forum browsing? The mini is perfect for me. I've got Skype running, iMessages coming in, and music playing.

It's no downgrade - it's just different, and fills the gap when I don't need something with a ton of power and larger size.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
How so? I'm typing this from my mini while my 4 sits in the other room. I. Love the 4 as well, but for stuff like forum browsing? The mini is perfect for me. I've got Skype running, iMessages coming in, and music playing.

It's no downgrade - it's just different, and fills the gap when I don't need something with a ton of power and larger size.

Would you carry a iPhone 4S and a iPhone 5 at the same time? How does this sound to you?

"How so? I'm typing this from my iPhone 4s while my iPhone 5 sits in the other room. I love the iPhone 5 as well, but for stuff like forum browsing? The iPhone 4s is perfect for me. I've got Skype running, iMessages coming in, and music playing.

It's no downgrade - it's just different, and fills the gap when I don't need something with ton of power and larger size."

See what I mean.

Akash.B

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Would you carry a iPhone 4S and a iPhone 5 at the same time? How does this sound to you?

"How so? I'm typing this from my iPhone 4s while my iPhone 5 sits in the other room. I love the iPhone 5 as well, but for stuff like forum browsing? The iPhone 4s is perfect for me. I've got Skype running, iMessages coming in, and music playing.

It's no downgrade - it's just different, and fills the gap when I don't need something with ton of power and larger size."

See what I mean.

The iPhone 5 is about the same size as the 4S. The iPad 4 is a lot larger than the mini, so it's different. While I would never have an iPad + mini combo, I understand people who do

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Nope - actually sold it today (iPad 3) and don't miss it (or it's weight) at all.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
The iPhone 5 is about the same size as the 4S. The iPad 4 is a lot larger than the mini, so it's different. While I would never have an iPad + mini combo, I understand people who do

Beat me to it.

For me, the combo works. It's not for everyone though.

I don't have a notebook, so I like having options for my mobile needs. I also spent less on the pair than I would have on even a MacBook Air, so I don't see why someone would be up in arms over a dual-iPad setup working for my personal needs.

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012

iPhone 5 to a 4s is a bad comparison. Ip5 to Ip3gs is more like it.

AlterZgo

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
iPad mini gets more use than my iPad 2, 3 and iPhone 5 combined. It has the perfect size, weight and portability.

I think if Steve Jobs wasn't so headstrong about a smaller tablet and released the mini earlier, Apple could have more effectively fended off the smaller 7" competing tablets vs. playing catch up in that size class.

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
I had an original 16GB model, it went to my daughter. I was occasionally using my wife's iPad 3, but that's all hers now, except for when she borrows the mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.