Owners of the Dell 2005 FPW or Similar Displays

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GoCubsGo, Feb 12, 2006.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    I have a Dell 2005 FPW purchased sometime last summer. It's hooked up to a 15" PowerBook 1.67ghz via DVI. I've never really had any issues, until one day I unplugged my external power supply from the PB and the PB went to sleep. It wouldn't wake until I plugged it back into the wall. I've asked a few times, but just recently someone mentioned that it's normal behavior. Monday I was going to take my PB in finally, but I wanted to see if this was actually "normal" because I am having a hard time letting go of my PB since it's my main machine.

So I appeal to the masses.
    The question is, when you have your Dell LCD hooked up to your PowerBook via DVI and the lid on your PowerBook is shut, does it go to sleep the second you unplug the powerbook from the wall?

Of course I'd like to know why...but more importantly I'd like to know if it's normal. I'm not willing to send in my powerbook to Apple if I don't have to. But I will tell you that the Genius at the GB at the Mission Viejo Apple Store tested it and was dumbfounded...he is the one who told me I needed to send it in.
  2. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    yes, goes to sleep immediately. powerbook g4 1.5ghz. dell2405, dvi.
  3. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2004
    Huntsville, AL
    Yes, it goes to sleep. It's because you're no longer meeting the requirements for "clamshell mode".

They are:
    - ext. monitor connected
    - ext. keyboard/mouse connected
    - power cable connected