Ownership and permissions-weird

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Albone, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Albone macrumors regular

A co-worker finished a project in Quark. She collected for output and put all the files (quark files, PS files, fonts, etc.) onto a server. I grabbed this folder and put it on my desktop.

I can open all the files fine, but I can't overwrite any of them. I can Get Info and change the permissions, but that would really suck if I had to do that for every file.

Is this a problem from the server, or from her computer? Is this something I can fix, either on my end, her end or the server end?

Thanks

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Sadly, I'm at work on a PC, but I'm almost certain that you can, at least, set the read/write privs on the folder and specify that all sub-items get them, so, at the very least, you only have to do it once per folder copy.

3. Albone thread starter macrumors regular

Ah man, that was embarrassingly easy. Thanks!!

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm glad it worked. The real problem is probably that her files (like most) are set up with owner read/write permission and group/world read permission, so, when she copies them to the server and you fetch them, you get the group or world permissions. Not really a "problem" per se, but she could help by setting the default permission on her folder to allow group or world read and write permission. Still, since it's so each to fix, I doubt it's worth her doing so.

5. Albone thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a way to set up her computer to set her files/folders permissions to 'read+write', instead of 'read only' on anything and everything she does?

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Again, sorry, not at my Mac, but I think she could just Get Info on the folder she's using and set permissions to red/write for group and world and apply that to all items in the folder, and thereafter everything would be OK. At least, I think that will work.

7. Albone thread starter macrumors regular

Permissions and ownerships

I'm having problems saving over a file (any file, Quark, PS, etc.) that I get from another person, via our server.

To elaborate, the server is 10.1.5 and we are running OS X 10.3.6. She will put a file from her computer, to the server. When the file is on her desktop, the access is read and write. When I grab the file from the server and drop it on my desktop, the file is read only.

Its easy enough for me to change the priviliges on my computer in Get Info but that's fairly lame.

Working from the server is futile. I get a "Don't have priviliges" when I want to overwrite a document from any computer to the server. Get Info tells me that the file is still Read & Write though.

Does the problem come from her machine, the server or both?

Is there some way, I can set up her computer, the server, or both to not put any sort of restriction on files?

Thanks

8. Albone thread starter macrumors regular

Ownerships and permissions

I'm having problems saving over a file that I get from another person, via our server.

To elaborate, the server is 10.1.5 and we are running OS X 10.3.6. She will put a file from her computer, to the server. When the file is on her desktop, the access is read and write. When I grab the file from the server and drop it on my desktop, the file is read only.

Its easy enough for me to change the priviliges on my computer in Get Info but that's fairly lame.

Working from the server is futile. I get a "Don't have priviliges" when I want to overrite a document from any computer to the server. Get Info tells me that the file is still Read & Write.

Does the problem come from her machine, the server or both?

Is there some way, I can set up her computer, the server, or both to not put any sort of restriction on files?

Thanks

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

Is this related to this?

Sounds similar to your last issue (and you don't need to double-post in multiple forum areas, by the way). From what I can tell, it sounds like you need to adjust the permissions on the server volume as well as on her desktop. If she copies a file with incorrect permissions onto the server, I think those permissions stay valid.

If you set up a "shared" folder on the server and make sure the group permissions are set to read/write, AND you set up her computer so that the folder in which she saves stuff is set to read/write for everyone, you should be okay.

Note that if she opens and edits a file with "incorrect" permissions and resaves it, those permissions will remain with the file.

10. Albone thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry about multiple posts. The dilema is frustrating.

At the expense of asking this question again, let me post some screenshots...

Her computer the file on her desktop...

[​IMG]

Here is the file on the server being viewed from her computer:

[​IMG]

The same file on the server being viewed from my computer:

[​IMG]

Finally, the file is on my computer:

[​IMG]

How do I set up either her machine, the server, or my machine so I don't have to screw around with not having the correct permissions?

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Note: The three threads have been merged, so that's why you see Albone's questions multiple times above.

12. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

It looks like when vicki created the file she put it on others=read only. You are others. So when you copy it is created as read only. Perhaps if after she copied it on the server she put others=read write?

13. Albone thread starter macrumors regular

I've done a ton of searching on how to, basically, have all new files have owner priviliges to read and write, instead of read only.

I have found more than a few sites detailing how to use the Terminal to set already made files to have read/write for the owner, but I can do that in the finder.

I found some info on using umask in the Terminal, but it didn't seem to work.

So, I'm still searching for a way to have any new files have owner priviliges to read and write. Help!

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Suppose you put all the files you get off the server in a folder named, say, serverfiles, under your home directory. If you open Terminal and type this command:

chmod ugo+rw ~/serverfiles/*

does it give you read/write privileges on the files?

If that doesn't work, you could try doing it as superuser:

sudo chmod ugo+rw ~/serverfiles/*

and giving your administrative password.