Ownership & Permissions problems in a new account

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ajp, Jan 12, 2005.

1. ajp macrumors member

I (wrongly I now realise!) dragged my exisiting iPhoto Library into the Pictures Folder of a new account. My 2000+ photos still have the old Ownership & Permission details and so are unmodifiable in the new account as they are. Is there a way of changing all these details in one hit? I've tried the "apply to all items" button in the information box but this doesn't seem to work for all the various files. At the moment I'm having to change each file individually which is going to be a bit tedious!

Thanks.......

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

You can do this with the chmod command in the Terminal. I don’t remember the completely correct command, but I’m sure someone will jump in here and post it.

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Depending on your intent, you may also want to change the owner/group associated with those files as well. To learn more check out the man pages of chmod and chgrp/chown commands in Terminal by typing "man commandname"

Example - this is made up, so don't try it...

chown -R kingjr3:kinggroup * - this would change all the files in the current directory and everything within to be owned by user kingjr3 and group kinggroup. Usually this resets the permissions, so then you could do something like

chmod -R 775 * - this changes every file to grant full access to the owner, group and read + execute for everyone else.

NOTE: both these commands can be somewhat dangerous, especially if you don't have root access. So before you just go about changing everything, try to understand what you are doing.

Aside, if you were looking to share photo libraries with more than one account on a single mac, I found this to be very helpful.

http://captnswing.net/howto/iphoto/

Good Luck and Enjoy!