Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iClone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2016
Las Vegas
for those who own two phones (a iPhone and amdriod) how do you manage them?

I'm considering buying a second phone, maybe a note 7 I also want to keep my iPhone and switch off when I feel like it.

Any advice appreciated.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
It's easy for me. I use Google Voice and Hangouts for texting and calling, Google Photos for my pictures and videos, and Google Play Music for...obviously music, so I can pick up any device I want to take with me and use it like I'd use any other device.

Reactions: iClone

se1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
LA, CA
I try to find distinct purposes for each. Many apps can be logged in and working on both platforms. For me, it's why I like the SE so much as well, it slips away and seemingly disappears until I need it for those secondary purposes.

Reactions: 5105973

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I swap my sim between my 6 plus and S7 edge all of he time. Used my 6 plus all last week, switched back to my S7 Edge yesterday morning.

I don't pay extra for iCloud... and I try to not sync with iCloud as much as possible. Since I share theme mods to the jailbreaking community, I use MediaFire to share my uploads, and I use it as my cloud to backup my camera photo/videos between my iPhone and S7 Edge. Both phones can be set to upload to mediafire automatically. I use Google contacts to sync between both.

iMessage... The thing I have to remember when switching from my 6 plus to my S7, is to deregister my phone number from iMessage. Not hard to do. If I don't do deregister my number, people who iMessage me continue to go to my iPhone instead of my S7 Edge. Most of my family and friends don't mind me switching back and forth, since most have unlimited text anyway. However, I have hangouts and whatsapp as an option... especially for my international friends that still pay for texting.

As for FaceTime, I don't use it much. Only people I FaceTime are my wife and kids when I travel. I can still face time them with my iPhone, but we can do the same with hangouts if we really need to video chat.

Now that streaming content is the norm for me (UDP helps), I don't purchase/download movie or music anymore. Some carriers even let you stream some services without counting against your data usage. Downloading movies and music is a waste of storage space for me now.

Most of the apps I use regularly are on both phones. Majority of them are free... but I don't mind paying a few bucks for an app. As a developer, I'll support developers for their work on both devices.

It wasn't difficult for me to own 2 phones on different platformsI. try to distance myself from the Apple ecosystem so I can enjoy both devices equally. However, I still use "Apple Music" on both. :)

Reactions: iClone and 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.