OXS filesystem compatibilty

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by TypeR389, May 14, 2002.

1. TypeR389 macrumors member

Apr 9, 2002
    I poked around on the net, and couldn't find an answer, and I apologize if this has already been answered somewhere.

I am a PC person, just about to jump back to macs and get a new powerbook, but I have a question on what filesystems can OSX access other than HFS+? I recently bought an external 120GB firewire drive (ox911, WD120-8MB buffer) that I am currently using with my PC laptop that I am going to have to give back to my job (hence needing a replacement :D ) I was thinking though, though I know both computers can access the physical drive, what about filesystems? I know in Linux (not real BSD knowledagble) it talk to a TON of systems, but anyone have experiance with this? Mu drive is NTFS5 right now, can OSX R/W to this? or FAT32? OR going from another angle, anyone know of a driver or something that would allow a PC to access the drive if I reformatted more mac friendly? I would really like to put a decent filesystem on here that works under BOTH OS's because portabilty of my data would be REALLY nice!

Any help is appreciated.

Also, for you TiBook owners out there, how much worth it is it to get the 5400RPM drive BTO? Does the higher RPM kill battery life any? I don't really have enough cash to buy the 800 as it is, but if I have to sell my liver for it, what is another $100 or so? :p
  2. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    can't help you with all that file stuff, but i would definitely say get the faster hard drive. i just got a new 667 TiBook and it feels like the HD is holding it back.
  3. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

Apr 14, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    HFS+ and UFS I think...as in macos extended and Unix File System..I also saw something about those FreeBSD people at Apple working on stuff but thats just stuff...