Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Who's Going to Buy a Copy of Harry Potter on P-Day?

• I'm definitely picking up a book/audio book

Votes: 66 74.2%
  • I'm not quite sure yet...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Probably not, no

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • No! I'm sick of hearing about Potter! Good riddance!

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • Harry who? The boy who what?

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

Chris Bangle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
UK
Ok then, thats fine. But everyone knows that Jobs ends up killing voldemort by using an iphone. Sorry to ruin the surprise.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
True, AND they could have the original, and simply taken the time to CHANGE substantial portions of the manuscript just to mess with heads. It's pretty bad. There's a thread about Potter predictions on this forum that I refuse to look at. Unfortunately, at this time, threads like that only encourages forum "newbs" who've had access to leaked info, to post spoilers, even in the form of "guesses". Who needs that type of "threat" after such a long cycle? One more book to go. Also, be careful of spoilers like this while you're standing in line -- [YOUTUBE: do not click link if you haven't read Half Blood Prince]. Also, DON'T read the latest comments beneath it. Same threat (These jerks can show up anywhere).
Amen. Ignore the leaks. Support the book. Rowling has my vote everytime, anyday.

~ CB
I've got no problem with good guessing - I made a host of predictions on the other thread, and would be delighted if even one of them came true. The point I made over there was that even if in all the crap online there are kernels of truth, the context in which they are presented makes everything suspect. And I totally agree with you - the one or two most legitimate looking "leaks" out there still run at least the possibility that they're a hoax. I could think of half a dozen ways to change the content of even a legitimate copy of Deathly Hallows that, for example, a library worker would have access to: A moderately amateur writing ability, some Photoshop skillz, a series of grainy photos and voila! It all seems way too Area 51 for me.

I came to Harry Potter late, and I knew the basic important plot points of books 4, 5, and 6 (including who dies). It didn't ruin the story for me when I finally read them because of the context in which those moments were presented in the books - but, for the last hurrah, I really do want to be mostly in the dark about what happens.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Do Not Read the NYT Review

As it states, DO NOT READ THE NY TIMES REVIEW. There it was, right with the morning paper.

I read it, and now have to pull out of all discussion of HP - I'm deleting my subscriptions to both the MR Deathly Hallows threads.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Getting it Saturday in the mail, and I'm not going to be online at all except for email and IMDB until I finish rereading 5 and 6 (hopefully done by the time it arrives), and read 7.

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
DO NOT LOOK AT THE THREAD IN THE COMMUNITY FORUM FOR HARRY POTTER!

Some lame dude has a huge list of spoilers with no warning and did not even put it i white!

Shaduu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2007
Southsea
I'll be going to a midnight launch at Borders in Stockport. :D

Damn leakers/hoaxers! Let's just hope they're wrong.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
I've had a text message from my contact in "the retail world" (as he called it!) that the rumour is that Tesco will be selling Harry Potter for a whole £5.

I am now ducking out of all Harry Potter treads until I've finished the book.

:)

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
I've got mine...

It's disappointingly small (the Harry Potter book I mean! :p )

Anyway, the teabag is in the mug and the kettle is boiling. What more could I want...*

Harry Potter.jpg

* Try to keep it clean, please! ;)

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
well i think i can clear this up;

aside from having different covers, the UK & US versions of the story are slightly different.

to put it simply, the language is "dumbed down" for the american audience. the biggest diff is the first title "the philosopher's stone" becoming "the sourcerer's stone" what, does that imply that americans don't understand philosphy?

anyway dont mean to offend too many people

Nope, you've got it wrong. The language isn't dumbed down at all, the only changes are a few british phrases that americans would be unfamiliar with.

The change to the title of the original book was simply because Arthur Levine thought that when people saw "philosopher's stone" they'd assume the book was about philosophers. The series wasn't well known in the USA, and he wanted readers to have an idea what the book was about from the title.

Honestly, knowing nothing about the book, would anyone have any idea that "Harry Potter and the philosopher's stone" had anything to do with magic or wizards? No.

DO NOT LOOK AT THE THREAD IN THE COMMUNITY FORUM FOR HARRY POTTER!

Some lame dude has a huge list of spoilers with no warning and did not even put it i white!

Hey, I warned you. Best to avoid anything even vaguely HP related until finishing the book.

And while there were fake versions floating around, the photos and the text versions taken from them turned out to be completely legit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.