Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
It's that time of the year again. The rundown to the Fall Classic is upon us!
Matchups:
ALDS:
Anaheim Angels vs. Boston Red Sox
New York Yankees vs. Minnesota Twins
NLDS:
Atlanta Braves vs. Houston Astros
St. Louis Cardinals vs. Los Angeles Dodgers

my prediction for the ALCS:
Sox vs. Yankees, again :D
Cards vs. er, someone. Probably the Braves though

and for the Fall classic itself?
Cards vs. the winner of the ALCS (I am not going to call that one now :D)
And at least one curse continues this year, no World Series trip for the Cubs.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Ok, here are my fearless predictions.

NLDS - Dodgers over the Cardinals (Cards will find out the problem with lack of momentum going into the playoffs)

- Astros over the Braves (Astros are the most balanced team in the NL and finally played like it over the last half of the season.)

ALDS - Yankees over the Twins (this will be closer than most people think but the Yanks will pull it out.)

- Red Sox over the Angels (Red Sox have both the hitting and the pitching to oust a sometimes suspect Angels staff)

NLCS - Astros over the Dodgers (both teams are red hot, but the Astros have Oswalt and Clemens.)

ALCS - Red Sox over the Yankees (Schilling is the difference.)

Finally, in another all wild card series the Red Sox win over Houston in 7 as a harbinger of the Presidential contest. Prepare for a celebration to end all celebrations as the curse of the bambino is over.

Spike Spiegel

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
Massachusetts
State of emergency indeed. They'll need to call in the National Guard to ward off the rioters and clean up all the corpses on the campus here at UMass.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
my padres got close but didnt make it

ill be rooting for houston

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
Yes it is

This is the year. The Sox were so close last year. And this year they have a much better team that is so balanced. The have the pitching and hitting to battle the best. As the Yankees have seen, the Sox have the power. They might have to think twice about putting Rivera in there in the 9th as we have roughed him up a few times. Oh well got to get through The Angels first, who have peaked at the right time.

Go Sox

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Spike Spiegel said:
State of emergency indeed. They'll need to call in the National Guard to ward off the rioters and clean up all the corpses on the campus here at UMass.
When they won the ALDS, I watched a bunch of people walking from Huntington Ave through the Fens to Fenway from my dorm room. ;) That area (Northeastern, MassArt, Wentworth, and a bunch of other schools) would be quite the mess.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Winners in bold.

NLDS:

Dodgers vs. Cardinals -- The homer pick, I confess. But I do think the Cardinals are on a cold streak whereas the Dodgers' cold streak nearly cost them a playoff berth and woke them up a little. The Dodgers' comeback strength is a force to be reckoned with and their bats are woefully underrated.

Astros vs. Braves -- Houston has the pitching and Atlanta underwhelms in the postseason year after year. But I wouldn't be surprised if this one goes the other way. Atlanta is the team no one talks about, which often means they'll do well.

ALDS

Twins vs. Yankees -- This will be the year Minnesota finally beats New York in the postseason. New York's pitching is a train wreck; Minnesota's is Cy Young-caliber.

Angels vs. Red Sox -- This one will be close, but Boston has the more lethal pitching. Offense is a draw, maybe a little stronger for Anaheim, but not enough to beat Boston.

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
ASTROS!

Like the Marlins of '03, the Astros will now be the second team to win the World Series as a Wild Card team. Their momentum and quite similar to the 'lins of '03 and they changed managers right after the All-Star Break and began a rampant run for the World Series Pennant. The Brave's are done. The Astros are 36-10 since August. Houston is about to get a little hotter in October. Literally.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Sox will take the AL for sure. And if they don't beat the Yankees, I'm sure they won't hesitate to beat ON the Yankees.

Attachments

• kYtZycJJ.jpg
    kYtZycJJ.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 121

makisushi

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
Northern VA
Awimoway said:
Angels vs. Red Sox -- This one will be close, but Boston has the more lethal pitching. Offense is a draw, maybe a little stronger for Anaheim, but not enough to beat Boston.
Boston has the potential of more lethal pitching. If Pedro and his midget are out of sync...the BoSox are finished.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Does anybody know where I can listen to the Sox game on the internet for free while at work? The playoff schedule is B.S. 4 O'clock game, wtf?

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
goodwill said:
ASTROS!

Like the Marlins of '03, the Astros will now be the second team to win the World Series as a Wild Card team.

That would make them the third team to do so. The Marlins did it twice and the Angels did it in 2002. I, as a long suffering Giants fan, remember it too well. Oh, and by the way, will somebody please make sure that stupid rally monkey doesn't come back.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Awimoway said:
Offense is a draw, maybe a little stronger for Anaheim, but not enough to beat Boston.
Uh, what? Manny + Ortiz. 2nd and 3rd in RBI's (AL), 1st and tied for 2nd in home runs (AL), 1st and 2nd in Sluggin pct (AL). As a team, both have a .282 BA, the Sox have over 100 more runs scored (and lead the majors), 101 more doubles (lead the majors in that too), 60 more HR (5th), a higher OBP (leads), and a higher Slugging pct (leads here too)!
How the hell could Anaheim POSSIBLY have a stronger offense than the Sox?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
the Cards will beat the Dodgers and the Astros will beat the Braves. These two, I'm a lot more confident than the AL.

I think the Sox will beat the Angels and the Yanks will beat the Twins. it wouldn't surprise me at all if it went the other way. if santana beats yanks tonight, then the Twins will win the series. if schilling gets beat, then the Sox is finished.

league: Astros over Cards, Sox over Yanks.

WS: Sox over Astros in 6.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Counterfit said:
Uh, what? Manny + Ortiz. 2nd and 3rd in RBI's (AL), 1st and tied for 2nd in home runs (AL), 1st and 2nd in Sluggin pct (AL). As a team, both have a .282 BA, the Sox have over 100 more runs scored (and lead the majors), 101 more doubles (lead the majors in that too), 60 more HR (5th), a higher OBP (leads), and a higher Slugging pct (leads here too)!
How the hell could Anaheim POSSIBLY have a stronger offense than the Sox?

In a word,

Vlad

He's red hot.

Actually, though, you're right. He's not enough, and he plus the rest of the Angels offense doesn't measure up to the Sox. It was a stupid statement, and I take it back. But fail to take them seriously at your own peril. They can play a little baseball.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Umm.. I love vlad, but I don't have to lose my mind to see that the Red Sox offense is better. Just look at the stats.

On a seperate note- why is the Angels cleanup hitter batting .250??

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
King Cobra said:
Hey, I gotta think of some sort of pro-Yankees signature before we grind the Twins through the ground again. :D

Edit: This will do for now until we meet the Red Sox.

Friends don't let friends root for the Yankees! ;)

GO SOX

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
OK Folks, here is how its goin down.

Well start in the NL.
Braves over Astros.
The Braves don't lose to the astros int he playoffs. You can say whatever
you about the braves being "done" They fooled everyone this year. The Won games. So dont give me no heat about being "hot"

Cards Vs. Dodgers.
Cards are tough. Dodgers win when it counts. tough call on this one. I gotta go with the Cards though. And not being "hot" at the end of the season means nothing. Anyone who knows baseball knows you rest your players at the end if you have a large lead. STL will be fresher than LA.

Cards Over Braves.
Braves never get it done in the NLCS.

AL
BoSox vs. Angels.
BoSox. Angels are good. but Boston with pitching and hitting, just too good.

Yanks vs. Twins.
Yanks here, although a tougher series than most think. Minn just not enough offense or pitching.

Yanks vs Sox again in ALCS.
Yanks win.. cause well... you know. 1918.

Yanks vs. Cards.
prob cards. Yanks wont care again, after beating boston.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Awimoway said:
In a word,

Vlad

He's red hot.

Actually, though, you're right. He's not enough, and he plus the rest of the Angels offense doesn't measure up to the Sox. It was a stupid statement, and I take it back. But fail to take them seriously at your own peril. They can play a little baseball.
Glad you came around. :D

Yeah, there's no way one person having a great season at the plate can carry one team's offense when the other team has two guys who are just as good, and the rest of the team is better as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.