P2P apps won't connect

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vtprinz, Dec 7, 2004.

1. vtprinz macrumors 6502

I've searched for what seems like hours through the web trying to fix this, but nothing seems to work. I have an 800Mhz G3 iBook with Airport running 10.3.6 and connecting through a D-Link DI-514 wireless router. No matter what I do (turning off Mac OS X Firewall, opening firewall ports in router, setting up virtual server in router), I can't get any P2P apps to work.

Acquisition simply won't connect to anything.

BitTorrent will connect to hosts, but not download anything.

This probably deals more with the router than the Mac, but I thought I'd give you guys a try. Have any ideas?

2. McGuillicuddy macrumors newbie

I've been able to get Poisoned to connect, but I haven't been able to get Acquisition to connect since Sunday. A bit annoying considering I just paid the registration fee on Sunday evening :mad:

3. mac4drew macrumors regular

mac4drew

You haven't moved to a different area, have you? Some ISPs block common filesharing ports.

4. McGuillicuddy macrumors newbie

No, as a matter of fact I was sitting in exactly the same place, connected via the same internet connection (NTL) on each occasion.

5. vtprinz thread starter macrumors 6502

my roommate, who doesn't use the router to connect, has no problems. So it's not the ISP.

6. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

Same deal here. I have been trying and trying to find a solution. I messed with the sharing prefs and got it to work once, then went back to it with the same prefs and things were no go again. I usually run acquisition, I tried acqualite and limewire all have the same results. NOTHING. I get connections, but don't get any results. I looked at my ISP's website on this and they claim not to be playing any part in blocking anything. THOUGHTS? HELP!

OH YA... idk if this means anything. The last time I recall acquisition working before all this happened something weird went down on my system when I tried to do a restart. I got an error about a computer being connected via "AFP" (I believe it was, which I recall being a mac connection) and was I sure I wanted to disconnect. O but I wasn't connected to anyone, that I was aware of. I did not initiate any connections to anyone. I forced the disconnection and restarted. I am pretty sure since then I had problems. IDK if that makes sense.

7. dav macrumors 6502

Acquisition working beautifully here..

Using port 6001 forwarded to my local IP

8. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

6001?

9. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

so does anyone out there have any more thoughts/ideas/further info or can attest to this problem on there machines? There seem to be rumblings all over the web on this and there seems to be no rhyme or reason. HELP! :(

10. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Are we even supposed to talk/post about this issue here. Is there nothing in the MR rules in regards to this. :confused:

11. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

P2P apps aren't illegal or against the rules to talk about. It's against the rules to talk about what you do with these apps.

I'd say try directly connecting your iBook with your modem and see what happens. You could also do a port scan of your computer to see if any ports are open/closed.

12. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

I guess if there was content about 'how-to' be bad and get this and that. But what we have here is not an isolated incident. There are people all over having the same problem. Something has caused systems under various circumstances to block certain network traffic. All at the same time. Not to mention if this is effecting other parts of the system. I think it is valid. Again, it's not like it is talk about serials/wares or something way evil.

13. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

Good idea... i'll try that

14. dav macrumors 6502

I use non-standard ports.. Just change the port in Acquisition and make sure it is the same one as in your router

15. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

Router? I am hooked up directly to the cable modem.

16. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

I see the proper port now in a port scan, but Acquisition still not acting right.

17. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

see what doesn't make sense is that I can use acquisition to a point. While I cannot run a standard search, I can browse the 5 or so connected machines, look at the files they are sharing and dl stuff from there. Not only that, but once I start to dl, it starts to connect to other active peerss. Why, if I can connect to the network and such, not run a standard search?

18. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

OK.. UPDATE

I have been trying out xFactor as it is (was) the only thing that would allow me to connect to a P2P network. I tried again Poison and found it was VASTLY better then xFactor (IMHO). Then, something very odd happened. For no reason and with nothing else going on to point to a reason as to why this happened, I connected to a Gnutella network. Able to connect, see and dl from it. Only, however, from in xFactor and Poison. I still have the same search result issues in the much preferred Acquisition. Does this make sense? Anyone know why this might have happened?