p2p software. What's best in your opinion?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by 1rottenapple, Aug 28, 2004.

1. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

What is it and where did you download it? Free?

2. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

I believe Acquisition to be the best P2P in the world. $15 for a user license, and then there is the unlimited downloads, and the fact its not a hack like limewire, and its written in pure Aqua! Acquisition

Hope this helps

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

You hit the nail on the head with that one, it's an excellent, comprehensive site. There are many great options out there, so pick your poison! (Or may be you'll actually pick Poisoned... ;))

4. andypop macrumors newbie

Acqlite, NOT Acquisition.

you don't need all that bloated crap. Just get the lite version as it doesn't contain spyware, adware, and it doesn't 'call home'.

load it, and let it sit for a few min -- you'll be amazed at how many files are available.

/apop

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I didn't realize that this light version existed - thanks for that, I might have to give it a try myself one of these days...

6. andypop macrumors newbie

you'll love it. It's just a nice, clean, SMALL version of Acquisition.

much better, methinks.

/apop

7. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

Apple's don't get spyware, adware, viruses or the like. I have used Acquisition since 10.1, and have had no problems with it, and i highly recommend it. Only windows computers with Kazaa or the like have the spyware problems.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Hehe, then keep using Acquisition if that's what works. I use Acqlite, and its the same thing but better. I don't see the down side to it. ;)

9. andypop macrumors newbie

yeah, okay.

never say never. (or "don't")

/apop

10. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

I also use and recommend Acqlite. It's pretty much the same as Acquisition, but it's free! :cool: Also, Acquisition does phone home to check your serial. MSJ'ers know all about that and Dave W. ;) ;) ;)

11. spookykids macrumors member

spookykids

If you can you should use bittorrent. Its the best protocol out there. If you have to do it the dumb way, use Xfactor or Poisoned.

12. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

I downloaded Acqlite, but when I tried to run the program, it said that I needed an update java. I've already updated before and when I checked for more updates, there wasn't any for java. Am I missing something? I didn't have this problem with Acquisition.

13. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

I had the same problem. Looks like acquisition for me!

14. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

lol, I was going to make the switch but it seems like acquisition is here to stay.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Darn.

Well, you pay for Acquisition, and you don't for Acqlite, so if you can get in contact with the guys over at Acqlite, surely its better than getting Acquisition. Don't know why it doesn't work for you, but if that's the case, look at the comments and suggestions for Acqlite at versiontracker and see if others are having the same problem. ;)

16. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I agree. BT is the best P2P app in my opinion; there's lots to get. I get all my Linux distros via BT. (Too bad the numbnuts' who run the biggest MacTorrents site have made it invite-only for the time being .. it's become a circus :rolleyes: I'm personally hoping for a split, but I doubt it'll happen.)

Poisoned is also good. Aquisition bites because you have to pay for it. Paying for a P2P app ... :rolleyes: Get serious

17. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I've used Limewire and its pretty straight forward.

I have the same problem with acqlite - saying I need Java 1.4.2 which I do have. Help?

:rolleyes:

18. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

19. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

I did all of that, and low and behold, it will work, but no network connections. Acquisition works perfectly, so it looks like it will stay for a little while longer on my HDD.

20. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Why am I a BitTorrent fan, even though I don't use P2P apps myself? There's so many legitimate things that can be obtained through BitTorrent...such as Debian Linux.

21. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I had the same problem with acqlite and java. after searching the acqlite mb I found a 'fix' that someone created you can download here.

at first it didn't seem to want to connect to the network but within a few minutes it should connect. after that it's all smooth sailing.

22. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

If only the link worked... :(

23. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

oh crap, how'd that happen? the hyperlink put "%20%3cbr%20/%3e" at the end of the link for some odd reason. o_O

anyways here's the link in it's entirety: http://www.witchmountain.org/acqlite-0.23c.zip

24. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I think it worked the first time around- I had 3 of the same zip file on my desktop :rolleyes: Sorry about that...

It is working AOK so far