P2p

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by actripxl, Mar 8, 2003.

1. actripxl macrumors 6502

actripxl

Anyone try a program called Carracho? I've been using acquisition but its not really that great. Anyword on kazza for the mac?

2. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Re: P2p

Ha, kazaa for mac, i wish (although neo is a bit of a go between). Carracho is a good program very useful.

And its not acquisition that sucks, its the Limewire Gnutella network it runs on (acquisition itself is a lovely program). But yes in general terms i completely agree, Limewire/acquisition suck.

3. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Re: P2p

I installed carracho, but never rreally figured out how to use it... I have a short attention span :D Isn't some kind of irc client???

Kazaa for the Mac... unfortunately, not likely. Sharman Networks (the creators) have enough on their plate right now, (the US supreme court, and all)

I have said it before, and I will say it again, people complain about OSX native software (not being enough) but Kazaa is the only title that I am missing.

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

I've heard a lot about Kazaa and how it compares to other P2P apps.

Some Mac X P2P apps:
    Limewire
    Acquisition
    XNap
    Neo
    Drumbeat

5. dynamicd macrumors 6502

I think I've tried just about all the mac p2p's and nothing really comes close to kazaa. Carracho can be usefull but it's also a pain in the ass if you want to get an account at a server and you don't have what the admin is looking for.

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I've tried all of 'em except for drumbeat. What network does
    drumbeat use? Out of my experiences, the best p2p software
    for OS X is Limewire, and Kazaa for PC. P2P is much better on
    PC's but Limewire can usually get the job done. I haven't had
    any luck with those Hotline/Carracho programs. Can't find a
    half decent server. :rolleyes:

7. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

Carracho is cool :) you guys should run servers, a much better way to get files. Just keep them free :)

8. howard macrumors 68020

howard

yeah carracho is neat, but if you have a short attention span that don't try it, using it ends up being more of a past-time

9. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

"Saddam can't be satan... 10.2.4 is." What does this mean steel?

BTW, KDX is a good alternative to Carracho and Hotline...I think my server is pretty descent though..

10. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

what is your server?

11. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

how would you rate these? is limewire (in your opinion) the best and drumbeat the worst?

12. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(KC)
    Limewire
    Acquisition
    XNap
    Neo
    Drumbeat

>(red) how would you rate these? is limewire (in your opinion) the best and drumbeat the worst?

Actually, I like Drumbeat the most of all these for files and interface. Limewire is just ugly, as I said, but has files for use and not for "list".

Limewire: 3/5. Improved stability over the previous versions, a little luck required to find some files. Shareware.

Acquisition: 3/5. Excellent interface. Many fake audio files and sometimes hard to find files. Free.

XNap: 2/5. Mediocre interface. A decent selections of files. The hardest thing to do with XNap is to get a download to work, which contradicts "Nap".

Neo: 2/5. Simple interface. Starter kit is recommended. Not a large selection of files, which is the purpose of a P2P app.

Drumbeat: 3/5. Cool interface. Lots of files, but not easy to download. Sometimes crashes. Shareware.

13. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

you forgot some of the more advanced networks

Overnet
    DC
    eDonkey

these are all a bit of a pain to use but they are pretty advanced networks. we need a GUI for overnet and edonkey — any cocoa programmers out there volunteer?

and also dont forget KDX. it is a great evolution of the server client type app. way better than hotline or carracho. interface is ugly but the functionality and community blow carracho away. most servers are free, it wont crash, and the feature set is beyond compare.

Drumbeat uses open-nap servers.

14. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Some people claim Saddam Hussein is the antichrist... i say that OS X's last update (10.2.4) is... just been a lot of problems for MDD Powermac users. Kernel Panics, application failure, logic board resets... you name it, and its happened

:D

15. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

off topic...

hell yes, 10.2.4 is satan! My new PM FW800 wont keep the time. At least I haven't had any kernal panics (knock on wood).

As for P2P clients, why is it that no developer can make a half way decent version of Kazaa (or something similar to it) for the mac? Limewire is ok, so it Acquisition, DirectConnect, and Neo. But none are perfect. I'm dumb when it comes to the underlying methods of software authoring, so I'm not going to judge these programs.

My question is "why can't anyone make a P2P program painless and functional for the mac?"

16. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

Apple Knowledge Base article #25374 "Mac OS X 10.2.4: Date Resets to 1969 or 1970 After Update"

17. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

i know that article...

the article only posts a workaround. I have dial-up (sadly...), and it's annoying to fix the time on each start up. My workaround, as recommended by other MacRumors posters, is to just leave the computer on all the time.

Oh well...... come on 10.2.5.....

18. AntoineG macrumors newbie

Where can we learn more about KDX? I'm running a server on Carracho and Hotline (look for North Pole) As someone says Carracho can be a great way to find what your looking for but it can be time consuming. Starting your own server can even be easier...

19. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

www.haxial.com

20. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

Man, if you are looking for stuff, you should get on with hotline. It does take a while to get everything together, but it's awsome. I run a server myself.

21. buseman macrumors regular

It seems Mac users think kazaa is the ultimate p2p app, but for music its really not that great. There are very few mp3's over 128kbps (really), and its full of spam and viruses etc. Many of my PC friends prefer winmx (xnap servers) or even gnuttela clients over kazaa these days.

Give me a native soulseek client and I may ditch VPC for good.;)

22. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i downloaded acquisition .8 which just came out, and it sucks! i can't find any servers, .7 was fine, but this is crap...whats up with that? does anyone else have this problem?

23. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

I use Acquistion and I love it, except that it can only connect to 12 servers maximum. I'm hoping in the future that you will be able to connect to everyone on the gnuttella network like limewire.
    The reason i don't use limewire is because it runs slow, and is not an interface that i like.