Pa. Governor to Sue NCAA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Muscle Master, Jan 2, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

Muscle Master

Link

I'm glad that bastard got what he deserves.. I'm talking bout Sandusky, but what the hell does the NCAA have to do with this... where do they get off with fining the school

2. macrumors 603

It was just an excuse for the NCAA to rake in more money... just like everything else that they do.

There is no reason in hell the State of PA, who runs Penn State and is no doubt in a budget crisis like the rest of the country, should be giving $60 million dollars to the NCAA.

The NCAA is such a sham organization. It's all about money to them, not academics or anything else.

3. macrumors Core

MacNut

Schools have been fined for a lot less. This is Penn State putting football above anything else. The sanctions are justified.

----------

Penn State is not about academics either. It's all about the football team.

Penn State has bigger issues to worry about, like a $200 million lawsuit from the molested kids.

4. macrumors G5

yg17

Might have something to do with the fact that the school knew about the abuse and covered it up for years, allowing more children to get raped by Sandusky.

The school should be lucky they're just getting fined, if it were up to me, some of the higher ups at the school would be Sandusky's new prison bitch.

5. macrumors Core

MacNut

They could care less about the money, they want Joe Pa's records back, that is all this lawsuit is.

6. macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Good for the governor and I say go for it.

Frankly the NCAA overstepped there power on this one.

This quote:
    sums it up perfectly as far as I am concerned. The NCAA General Counsel even admits it is a criminal act.

It was a criminal act and needs to be address by the appropriate group. Vacating 14 years worth of victories by the football teams during that time does nothing but punish the kids that played during that time.

Paterno reported his suspicions and the people above him did nothing about it. Don't punish him for the failings of those above him.

7. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

The university needs to be punished for putting Football before all else. Surely that $60 mil can come out of the football coffers.

It is time for Penn State to refocus and recall the purpose of a university.

8. AhmedFaisal, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013

<snip>

9. macrumors 603

You guys do realize that EVERY Division 1 NCAA school in this country puts athletics and profits over academics, right? It's not like it's something exclusive to Penn State.

It's what the NCAA is about. Athletics and money making under the lie of being a "school". That's what makes them such a joke. They punish athletes (see OJ Mayo, Reggie Bush, etc) and schools when the athletes receive any form of benefit because they are an athlete all while laughing all the way to the bank with their hundreds of millions of dollars. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

10. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

I'm quite aware, and I think it is awful. Penn State let this powerful institution go too far, however.

11. macrumors demi-god

Kurwenal

Can you cite the section of the NCAA rules that states that criminal acts are immune from the NCAA's authority under Provision 4.1.2 to fine and otherwise penalize member institutions for violations of the NCAA's rules, including in particular the rule allowing the NCAA to fine a member institution for lack of "institutional controls" to prevent criminal behavior?

12. macrumors 68000

Sydde

Lamentably, those who suffer will be the students and the people of PA. The school will not allow its football program to be compromised by the fine. Sad.

13. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

What the hell does football have to do with college? And, since when is NCAA participation required of Penn State? NCAA participation by a college is purely voluntary. If Penn State wants the huge financial benefit of NCAA participation, they can pay the fine. If they don't like it, drop out of the NCAA and and join the NAIA instead.

Oh wait, it's all about the money. That explains it. And, apparently, Penn State doesn't think the injuries suffered by the victims warrant this punishment. Words cannot express the extent of my contempt for Tom Corbett's action.

14. macrumors 6502

Governor Corbett should be kissing the NCAA's feet for allowing Penn State to even still be running a football program. If I were on the NCAA board that program would of got the death penalty.

15. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

My sentiment exactly. The NCAA should have shut the program down for a year and forced Penn State to start completely from scratch.

Is the NCAA being hypocritical? Sure:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/she-the-people/wp/2012/12/04/why-i-wont-be-cheering-for-old-notre-dame/

But, at least the Penn State case shows that there are limits. Once it is acknowledged that limits to institutional behavior have to exist, the NCAA can decide exactly what the limits really should be. In my opinion, the Penn State case is so egregious my reaction has been and continues to be that the punishment was an insufficient deterrent. But, at least it is a start.

16. macrumors 604

chrono1081

This!!!

Up until May I lived right near Penn State and people in this area's minds are poisoned. All they care about is their school and their football team and will try and use any excuse to justify sticking up for that **** school. (It is a **** school too I went there for two years and learned practically nothing).

The school could care less about education (and obviously the well-being of children), its all about football and money.

Basically it boils down to the fact that there is ZERO excuse for covering up child molestation. PSU deserved everything it got.

17. macrumors 6502a

skottichan

The PA Governor is suing because a football coaching squad and its backing school is being punished for conspiracy to keep a pedophile on the staff. He makes my head hurt.

It amazes me how people don't think the NCAA should punish Penn State for this, yet are okay for Ohio State being punished because kids traded autographs and trophies for tattoos, yet Cam Newton got the Heisman after getting cash from Mississippi State.

I can smell the hypocrisy from here.

18. macrumors 68000

People need to really get their shtuff straight - this is the Governor of Pennsylvania on behalf of the State of Pennsylvania suing - NOT Penn State.

Penn State is fine to be complying with the NCAA's judgment.

Football and PSU have nothing to do with this specific suit.

19. macrumors 601

Tilpots

No way the fine and punishment is thrown out in court. All the NCAA would have to do is kick Penn St out of the organization. The school and state would lose a LOT more than $60 million. Bet the governor would S T F U then.

20. macrumors 68020

Macky-Mac

so his re-election campaign has started already?

21. macrumors 603

thekev

This isn't necessarily true. It is a public institution and therefore may not have the ability to use funds earmarked for academic projects.

22. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/04/opinion/penn-state-lessons-not-learned.html

23. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

....and we have a winner.

24. macrumors 68000

hulugu

Cut away all the noise and that's the signal, ain't it?

25. macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

1. Football is a huge draw for any college. It turns out even really smart young people will choose a school based on other programs in concert with academics.

2. NCAA participation is hugely important for reason 1. Probably more important that you think.

3. By acknowledging 1 and 2, it is not hard to surmise that by severely punishing Penn State, the NCAA has hurt the academic institution in State College. The NCAA does not exist to do that, and in doing so have violated their own commitment to student athletes.

4. A horrible crime was committed. We all understand. The fact is, a man will spend the rest of his life in jail for it, and the people who covered it up are either dead or going to jail. The rest of the school is innocent until proven guilty.