Pad and Quill Octavo for ipad 2

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by blueridge, Mar 30, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

blueridge

ok.. i got order with portenzo and dunno when they will ship so going to try to order one from p&q today.. anyone else.. my wife ordered a treegloo.. i will review and compare when/if they arrive.. just wondering who else is going with the Octavo..

2. macrumors 68000

I have one en route. Was shipped yesterday.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

blueridge

cool.. saw your post in the other thread.. we'll have to give our opinions once they arrive..

4. macrumors newbie

ordered pad & quill octavo (blue, with pocket) on sunday, shipped tuesday, received today (express shipping).

could not be happier with the octavo - construction quality is excellent and I really like the bound leather they are using for the outside of the case. if anyone was wondering, the case strap covers the camera hole nicely, and the magnet in the cover turns the ipad on like a charm.

any questions about the octavo, just ask!

5. macrumors 68000

Mind sharing a pic? How about the fold of the cover to type and view horizontal?

6. macrumors member

Cool.

Pictures? How well does it hold it in?

7. macrumors member

wonderful, I changed my mind from the Treegloo for Octavo. (was not fond of the wood).

Please tell us more. How secure is the ipad 2?

8. macrumors 68000

I like the Treegloo options but the pine wood grains are not typically as good but I guess if properly stained should not matter.

I think I will like the Octavo once it comes and use Treegloo as a potential backup should something bad happen.

9. macrumors 68030

Portenzo time frame?

I ordered a Portenzo this morning but then noticed the threads about how hardly any of them had shipped...I wonder how long it will take to get to me. I'm order #7004 lol.

10. thread starter macrumors regular

blueridge

got blue octavo ordered today.. hopefully i will get shipping notice..

tyranocore.. can you post pics and small review in this thread to help others.. thanks..

11. macrumors 68000

Someone with an order # of 5000 still has nothing. So it might take a while

12. macrumors 68000

Another reviewer on Facebook:

Jeff DeVincent
    I got mine today! WOW!
    In response I posted the following in the Apple site discussion boards!

My, oh my ... um ... have ANY of you heard of and/or purchased the Pad & Quill Octavo for your new iPad 2?!?!? Well, I sure DID ... and I'm so glad that I did ... it's UNREAL!

What a great FIND! It's another Moleskin-like case on the market of late, however the quality is FAR SUPERIOR to others similar to it (and I own them all)!

The black Italian leather is supple, plush, and realistic; the binding is crafty, tight, and professional ... the woodwork?!? UNREAL! The iPad fits perfectly and tightly into the study hard wood frame in which the design provides full iPad access AND also imparts a new lovely twist ... a FABULOUS sound channel that actually magnifies the sound of the speaker acoustically!

The Octavo is a real feat in my book! Anyone else?!

13. thread starter macrumors regular

blueridge

nice.. cant wait.. well i guess i can been waiting for portenzo lol :eek:

14. macrumors member

Tyranocore, could you post an image of the headphone jack area? that's the only thing that's stopping me from buying it right now... i really need to see how much space there is.

15. macrumors member

tyranocore posted some pics in the Portenzo thread. They're good shots and made me order one and cancel my Portenzo order.
    I think Pad & Quill needs to update their stock photos on their site as they look inferior to the product they're actually shipping. Probably prototype photos...

16. macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

Holy crap! They're like 1 mile from me in St. Louis Park, Minnesota! :eek:

Wonder if they'd do a custom job for me if I designed it...hmmm.... :rolleyes:

17. thread starter macrumors regular

blueridge

moved his pics over here..

18. macrumors newbie

I like the look of these, but that camera hole and the corners just don't look as polished as the Portenzo notebook. But the customer service and speed of delivery is very appealing with Pad & Quill. Not sure which way to go at this point.

19. macrumors member

Can't get behind the plywood of this or the Portenzo. Liking Treegloo more and more.

20. macrumors newbie

when folding the octavo cover back and laying the iPad horizontally for typing on a flat surface, the case actually does not provide much of an angle... in all honesty, there is almost no inclination.

21. macrumors newbie

as requested:

http://i.imgur.com/ejVAf.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/hVMP2.jpg

there is plenty of clearance there... I have tested normal ear bud type straight jacks, as well as a straight jack from a pair of studio headphones (audiotechnica athm50). might have an issue with an "L" type jack..

22. dereklai., Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012

macrumors member

f

23. macrumors member

I think that has to do with the thinness of the iPad rather than the case. I suspect this will be the case for all moleskin type cases.

24. gigaguy, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

macrumors 6502a

Edit - what do people use this type case for? looks boxy from pix, maybe they are better in person, this one looks better and thin, I would want nothing to make the ipad considerably bulkier or thick.

25. macrumors 68030

ditto - I still have no answer from any of these companies why they cannot stain the wood darker - Russian birch this....it looks like plywood to me....I'm staining mine when I get it...