Padded case for the g5 tower?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Bhennies, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Anyone know about heavy duty padded cases for the g5 tower (i've already found them for the cinema displays)? I'm moving a lot and sick of computer boxes. Plus I may be moving overseas and would need to ship it or put it on a plane. Now that's portable power :D. Thanks!

2. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    wouldn't it be cheaper to cover it in bubble wrap?

buying a $200+ case for 1 or two moves seems overkill. could be more expensive, since laptop cases are easily $200.

3. Bhennies thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think the airline would accept that, unfortunately. Thanks though- it sure would be cheap.

4. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

didn't your computer come in a box, with custom foam padding?

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I think the point is that he doesn't want to have to carry the boxes anymore. I've never heard of padded cases for the towers though. Is it too big to be a carry on?

6. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

the new g5s are pretty darn big, so maybe. but regardless, i would hate to be lugging on around an airport for very long or trying to get it in the overhead compartment.

7. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

if the goal is not to lug it around, wouldn't it be easier to ship it to the new foreign address?

8. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

you must have more money than you know what to do with... just use the box... and donate the extra money to charity (or me)

honestly, i doubt you'll be able to find anything for it unless you try to get something custom... here's some weird iMac Flat Panel case

reality

9. Bhennies thread starter macrumors 6502

that's the point exactly. It would not be a carry on- but a luggage check. Tenba used to make an excellent case for the g4- it was only slightly bigger than the computer itself- the original cardboard box was enormous as I'm sure you all know. I also live in a small apartment, and need to get the boxes out of here- a padded case is that much smaller and much, much cheaper to ship. Trust me, when you have as much gear as I do, every little reduction possible in clutter or packing boxes is much appreciated!

-by the way, i will not use this case only once or twice- I am moving three times in the next 9 months alone! Then possibly to the UK. If that wasn't the case, as someone pointed out, it would be an expensive purchase for just a couple moves but for me it's worth it.

10. Bhennies thread starter macrumors 6502

No..I don't. It's extremely expensive to ship it to the UK in the stock box(air mail). The case..at least the old Tenba one for the g4...was 180 dollars- plus I can throw out the bulky box and not get robbed when I move in (lookey lookey- a new g5! I HATE those Apple boxes- they have a big sign saying "rob me" all over them- i live in New York). If I'm paying for a plane ticket, then I might as wll not also pay for shipping. Go figure.

11. Apple of my eye macrumors member

The Ultimate case

I bought a flight case from http://www.cabbagecases.com/ for arround $300. We needed a heavy duty case because we move our G5 weekly. It has great casters for rolling the case and a retractable handle. It also has lockable hinges.

12. Bhennies thread starter macrumors 6502

13. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

Cabbage

I have a couple cabbage cases, they are extreme duty and well built.

You could have the custom fab one to match the g5 perfectly.

Willow still seems to be taking orders, and I would give them a call too.

14. Bhennies thread starter macrumors 6502

you were right...they do have a couple left. However...I just thought of something...what are the chances that the new rev. B g5 will have a modified case (smaller- bigger for more HD's etc.)? How much would that suck if I bought this case on close-out and then the f*****g thing didn't fit? (by the way, I haven't bought the g5 yet- waiting till WWDC)

15. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

i HIGHLY doubt, almost guarantee that that external dimensions will be identical.

remember, the last case was externally the same from late g3 to late g4. what, 5 years maybe?