Page encoding

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by mproud, Oct 4, 2005.

1. mproud macrumors regular

Today's front page features some non-ASCII text. That's fine, however, I don't see where in the HTML it lists the encoding for the page. So Safari guesses Unicode but the page happens to be in ISO-Latin. So Safari users (which are probably a few of us) get noticeable <?> icons!

So I'd like to ask: would you be able to define the encoding set for the website? It can't be too hard to prepend an xml declaration with the encoding (as all good XHTML should have :) or specifying a meta tag like <meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-US">. Understandably, there are more than a few pages on this site, but even just the front page and future articles would be a blessing. And the action would certainly put this bug to rest.

2. mproud thread starter macrumors regular

If you use PHP, you can echo back the xml declaration instead to get around the potential validation error.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Yes that has been bothering me lately. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to make sure the site displays correctly on the #1 browser for the site...

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Good suggestion. In the meantime, we fixed the news story.

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

will fix this if I can figure it out.

arn