Pageouts

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rye9, Jan 9, 2006.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

My pageouts are at 14,662 and my iBook is actually very fast. Should I restart my iBook or its OK for the pageouts to be so high. The reason the number is so high is because I had an app consuming three times as much RAM as every other app and it was automatically opened each time I turned on my iBook so is System Preferences, I turned the app off so it wont come on ever again so next time I restart, I will have MUCH more RAM so my pageouts wont be so high. Back to the point,... should I just leave my iBook alone with this high amount of pageouts, or restart it. If it helps, I wont be opening any new apps so that number (14662) wont get any higher. Also like I said, my iBook is not slow at all, if that surprises anyone.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I've gotten as high as 2,000,000 pageouts during some intense work weeks, so I routinely boot every so often. There's quite a few threads on pageouts in the last 2 weeks or so. Too excited right now to search for the threads.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

3. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Are you sure you were at 2 million!!!!!! That's more than 100 times than mine and mine is pretty high according to the Mac Guides on this site which say that over 3,500 is a little too high.

4. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Also, I thought that pageouts occurred when you have no RAM left. I have 100 MB left...:confused:

5. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I wouldn't worry too much about page outs unless you are experiencing slowdowns. I used to get a pretty good lot of page outs when I only had 512MB of RAM, but I rarely get them now that I have 1GB. iPhoto causes page outs sometimes, I've noticed. Right now, my uptime is at 4 days and my stats are:

Page ins - 97763
    Page outs - 1459

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'd always thought that it was only really a cause for concern if your pageouts were vastly higher than your pageins.

Any system that's up and actually doing some work across various applications is going to end up with a few pageouts over the course of a few days. It's only when you restart, open a couple of usual apps and then find you've got multiple pageouts that you really need more RAM